Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Nebula variants

Author Topic: Nebula variants
iam2xtreme
Member # 836

- posted      Profile for iam2xtreme         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recently it has been mentioned a couple of times about a number of different Nebula variants. I was wondering, as I've not seen the different variants (I thought there was only two, the phoenix and the sutherland types) could someone please enlighten me on the issue. Thanks in advance.

--------------------
"Marge, trying is the first step towards failure!!" Homer

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The original design of the ship (even before the Phoenix) was made for the Wolf 359 graveyard scene. It had a regular Galaxy-class secondary hull, rather than the customized piece, so the sec. hull stuck out in the back. It also had little mini-nacelles on top, rather than a pod.

A second, pretty much identical, version of this model was made at the same time. It was later seen as a desk decoration in "Future Imperfect" and an episode of DS9.

Some people consider the CGI Nebula to be another variant, also, because it doesn't exactly match the old physical model. I think it has something to do w/ the rows of windows, and using CGI Galaxy bits, rather than customizing them.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right. So if you want to consider all these different models "variants" instead of just inaccurate representations of the same ship, you've got the following (in rough order of appearance):

1) Ship kitbashed from Galaxy commercial kit components for "Best of Both Worlds", with mini-nacelles at the very stern, and a secondary hull that tapers to the stern like the Galaxy one. Seen in wreckage in that episode, and in DS9 "Emissary".

2) The same as above, except the mini-nacelles are mounted further forward. Seen in "Future Imperfect" as a tabletop model.

3) A full-size model which looks like the familiar Nebula: rounded stern, and there's a disk-like dorsal pod instead of mini-nacelles. Seen in "The Wounded".

4) Modification of 2), with the mini-nacelles painted white and extra plastic glued to them to make the ship look more like 3). Used as a tabletop model in "The Wounded".

5) Modification of 3), with the dish-like pod replaced by a triangular one. Seen in "Redemption II".

6) Yet another modification of 5), with extra detail added overall and with smaller shuttlebay doors. Seen in "Generations".

7) CGI version, with Galaxy-like window placement on the saucer, and with conspicuous lack of impulse engines. Seen in numerous DS9 battle scenes (but which was the first?).

8) Yet another modification of 4), with the mini-nacelle-extra-plastic contraption replaced by a triangular module similar to that of 5). The stern remains a tapered one, though. Seen as tabletop decoration of Sisko's office in many DS9 episodes.

9) If one insists, one can probably count a computer display from "Redemption" that didn't look exactly like the finished model.

So a discriminating fan can believe in as many as nine different variants of the Nebula class! (Not all of them can be told apart from the screen, really - you need background photos to tell you that 5) is not the same as 6), for example.)

Timo Saloniemi

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:

7) CGI version, with Galaxy-like window placement on the saucer, and with conspicuous lack of impulse engines. Seen in numerous DS9 battle scenes (but which was the first?).

"Waltz". I rule.

The configuartion of various hull components and how they meet at the back is a bit different too, although I can't remember exactly how

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look here.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps