Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » How big an object can you transport? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: How big an object can you transport?
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could transport vital body parts from enemy troops.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A more ethicly sound alternative to that would be to just steal the enemy's weapons [Wink]

Well, in regards to the original post; There is precious little solid information about any TOS systems, but we could probably extrapolate a few rough paramiters.
For one thing the TNG tech manual states that the large cargo transporters are indeed of a lower resolution, which "are designed for operation at molecular (non-lifeform)resolution for cargo use, but they can be set for quantum (lifeform) resolution transport if desired, although such usage would entail a signifiacant reduction in payload mass capacity".

No mention is apparently given of the mass/density transport capabilities of any known unit. However, the ST:IV transport does provide a good yard stick, you could say that a 2280's Klingon scout has similar power capabilities as a 2260's Federation starship and that Federation and Klingon transporter tech is more or less parallel, given the apparent similarity of the Starfleet and Klingon optical transporter effects in the movies.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not necessarily interested in transporting only during a planetary assault (which would seem as dangerous as using paratroopers today) but also in terms of cargo shipping. However, let's say you need to get a hypothetical 70- or 100-ton marine AFV down to the surface for your peacekeeing troops (not during an attack) or maybe a 500-ton fusion or antimatter reactor (without fuel). Would you need to bring them down in a very large shuttlecraft or could you just transport them? Of course, we haven't seen shuttlecraft so large or transporters pads either, although site to site transport is possible, I guess.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, once things get started in development, I bet it explains why Starfleet seems to conduct a lot of its industrial production in lower-gravity environments, either in orbit or on the surface of Utopia Planitia.

However, we HAVE seen some ships capable of landing and taking off from an Earth-normal planet. For example, ships like the one in DS9's "Paradise." Voyager is the obvious example, but it's also a very new ship, so doesn't really apply to the Museum.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The antimatter for an antimatter reactor would have to be transported separately from the matter. In fact, the transporter has to be modified too.

But what does make me wonder is how would a transporter react to a reactor that is working? I mean yeah there's a lot more power going on there, but is it really that much more different or difficult from transporter a person?

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose that transporting an active reactor would require a quantum level configuration, since any misstep could cause an uncontrolled M/AM annihilation within the transporters beam.
Given the mass of a shuttle is allot greater compared to the average humanoid, I'd say that the power involved in transporting a shuttle would be comparable to the ST:IV transport, since that was also a large quantum level transport.
So to answer your question, yeah, it probably is possible to transport a large amount of mass at once but of course you'd have to put a limit on just how much and the composition of what your shifting.
Also remember that some materials (I forget which) cannot be transported at all and that the more dense materials would take longer to disintegrate, process and re-materialise.

P.S. Masao: If this has anything to do with our discussion about the Botany Bay, don't worry I've since changed my mind about that.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rev: To quote Mr. Chekov, "Botany Bay!?!?! Botany Bay?!?!"

Don't worry, I forgot about that conversation a long long time ago...

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I've always thought that transporting a whole shuttle was never feasible."

Voyager transported that whole Borg Node thing that tried to control Seven.

The objects they transport can be as advanced as it likes, it's still just plain atoms that the buffer can buff away.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya... right. So does that mean by the time USS Voyager launched, only one set of transporters are needed for cargo and personel? Perhaps Starfleet Command kept on upgrading the transporter system after the Enterprise-D encountered the Borg so by the time the Nebula Class USS Phoenix went on a hunting spree, transporters can be used at warp and by Voyager, only one transporter is needed for personel/cargo transports.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, they can still only transport things up to the size of the transporter pad. So they may still have a large cargo transporter for the really big stuff.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Kirkspeak] site... to.... site...[/Kirkspeak]

Yes, Captain, there is that option....

What about the transporter enhancers, used in TNG several times. In a contested area a torpedo fired to sprout them would serve, I would imagine. Not unlike the MLRS and artillery that can fire transporter shells with those little ball landmines.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the tng technical manual said that cargo transporters could be set to handle quantum (lifeform) resolution, ata cost to the payload weight transportable.

we know that even when cargo transports are set for quantum, they can still transport approximately two whales.

just because there was no technobabble line that says they were configuring them like that, we can probably assume that the cargo trans. were reset to quantum everytime they beamed something complicated on Voyager. theres no need to assume they had radically different transporters.

it obviously wasnt a radical procedure to reset the cargo transporters to quantum, since it was done so often (voyage home, power play, the prefect mate. etc.). it was an adjustment that was made without making reference to it in dialogue, but the technical manual tells us they did it.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure the size of the pad is a limiting factor. It probably should be, but we've seen them beam far more than six people up at a time, for instance. And what with the fancy capability of TNG's transporters to beam something up and then beam it elsewhere, without bothering to materalize it on the pad, I'd say that the limit is the size of your pattern buffer, at least for advanced enough transporters.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I thought of that later, after I'd posted...
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And yet pads must have some use beyond the purely aesthetic (or organizational; you don't necessarily want your guests beamed directly to their quarters; thus the invention of the anteroom). It's apparently easier to transport something when you have two transporters working on it, rather than just one. I'd wager that most of your everyday, non-starship transporter work is probably of the pad to pad variety, perhaps for that extra measure of safety?
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps