Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Theoretical transporter technology (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Theoretical transporter technology
Sorak
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for Sorak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think one of my original questions was ever answered:

quote:
This is possibly seen in films II-VI as two columns of light that spread before the person appears, and also in Voyager with the balls of light moving vertically.

(my reply)
Yes, but those are seen in the beam-out, too...how do you account for that? And, what is the official definition of "annular confinement beam"?

--------------------
Petty Officer 1st Class Sorak
Chief Tactical Officer
USS Gemini NCC-74680
Task Force 44
Task Group 3
Bravo Fleet

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the Encyclopedia:

"A cylindrical force field used to ensure that a person being transported remains within the beam. ("Power Play"[TNG]). Failure to remain within the confinement beam can cause a dangerous release of beam energy, possibly fatally injuring the transport subject and those nearby."

As for making someone's ears pop, I did a couple of quick ballpark calculations of density, assuming a 180 pound man beamed into a 4,000 cubic foot room. Shoving the air displaced by his body into the remaining room would increase the air pressure by only 0.0759 percent. I don't know if any of us would even notice that much of a change.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps