Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Borg, Holodecks, and Kinetic Energy (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Borg, Holodecks, and Kinetic Energy
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I vote for Dexter verses Professor Stephen Hawking.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Powerpuff Girls versus three of the first Sailor Scouts.

Serious though, Guardian, why are you limiting yourself to Federation and Starfleet for the matchup? It's not very fair for ST, considering that there are decidingly less factions in SW, so all technology in existence are held by the old and new Republic, the Rebels, or the Empire and there for apply in the comparison. If it is really a ST versus SW comparison, then all main races of ST should be able to participate.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
Why hasn't anyone attempted to compare Shakespeare and Dickens by dropping Romeo and Oliver Twist into "Mortal Kombat"?

Well, see, first you have to get Shakespeare's Canon Policy. Otherwise, pro-Dickens debaters could come in bringing up all kinds of crap about "industrialization" and such, when we know from the Expanded Shakespeare that Romeo actually was armed not with a sword, but with a 9mm pistol.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David Templar:

Serious though, Guardian, why are you limiting yourself to Federation and Starfleet for the matchup?

Part of it is convention. Most of the online debates focus on, for example, a Galaxy vs. an Imperial Star Destroyer, or Federation vs. Empire.

Part of it is the fact that, though outnumbered, I don't think we'd need help. ;-)

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A vain attempt at returning to the subject at hand:

Picard could probably have replicated AND charged a disruptor just as easily as he got the tommy-gun. We've seen that phaser-type weapons can be replicated and then fired, in DS9 "Civil Defense". A Cardassian replicator first created the weapon, then fed a brief pulse of glowing something into it, and the weapon then started shooting around at anything non-Cardassian in the vicinity.

And my original point was that even a "fake" holo-disruptor would have been just as good as the (fake/real) tommy-gun, merely because it was different from phasers and thus surprised the Borg. A wiffle bat or a sharpened avocado would probably have done the trick, too.

And now back to our scheduled diversions:

The nature of a "hopper" was not completely clarified in DS9 "Nor the Battle". There's a second reference to "hoppers", though - in "Peak Performance" LaForge mentions a "water hopper".

Now, these two mentions are COMPLETELY DISSIMILAR from the writers' point of view. In "Peak Performance", the writer was quite obviously postulating a vehicle that would literally hop around, so that when one popped the clutch on that one, the results would be reallyspectacular. In turn, in "Nor the Battle" the writer was using a word that resembles "chopper" in order to evoke a post-Vietnam war movie type of feeling.

However, from the POV of the audience, it makes sense to assume that these two "hoppers" were variations on a common theme. Which means that there are "water" hoppers in addition to "regular" hoppers. Which in turn suggests a rather sub-orbital role for the craft - it would be pretty silly to build space-capable craft in separate "land" and "water" variants. (TAS "aquashuttles" withstanding!)

If the vehicle is primitive enough to have a "clutch", I suggest something vastly "inferior" to a shuttle. The difference between a shuttle and a hopper could be that between a helicopter and a tank. The latter does not fly (into space), but the sacrifice makes it more combatworthy in other ways.

A "hopper" IMHO should have gotten its name from the fact that it "hops". And hops mechanically or physically, given the clutch, not e.g. through transporter magic. Like a frog, it considers ground or water its natural environment, and only utilizes air for changing its location every now and then. This would make it very different from a "shuttle" or an "aircraft", so different that we could safely postulate a whole family of dissimilar vehicles that would all still warrant the very specific designation "hopper". The water hopper LaForge mentioned would probably be a recreational vehicle of some sort, while the one in "Nor the Battle" would not...

Timo Saloniemi

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I would say that they should be different. Like you said, the "water hopper" is probably recreational, and literally hops along the surface of the water.

However, I suspect the military "hopper" is just a transport vehicle. The name would come from the fact that it "hops" (not literally) from one location on the planet to another. It may even go from point to point to point to point w/o stopping longer than to drop people off/pick people up. Thus, it would metaphorically resemble an insect or something that's hopping around.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weren't there Federation phaser rifles which were shown to have been created in a Romulan replicator in "The Mind's Eye?"

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe so, but that may have been one of the "industrial replicators" we hear about from time to time which are, apparently, vastly more complicated than the ordinary kind.
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think Holmes would beat Miss Marple. but would his wallet say "bad motherfucker"? that is the question.
IP: Logged
newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do Borg bleed? The reason I ask is that the two Borg killed in the simulation didn't bleed.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We haven't seen a Borg bleed. With all the nanoprobes in the supposed bloodstream, any leak will probably be blocked far more rapidly and efficiently than without the said probes...

Miss Marple would bludgeon the sorry little twerp to pulp with her handbag when he's high on whatever he's smoking or needling in that day, strangle him with his own violin strings, and bury him in a sewer. Then she'd rape Dr Watson with a turnip.

The fake Federation rifles were manufactured by the Romulans by unknown methods, requiring an unknown length of manufacturing time, and they were energized separately afterwards, using a Romulan power source (which is what gave the ploy away). So that's not really an argument in favor of "Picard could just have ordered the holodeck to replicate a loaded phaser for him".

Timo Saloniemi

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have to disagree. holmes would strangle her with her own underwear (using the deer stalker to muffle her cries) and then violate her corpse while he takes bites out of Watson's back.
IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps