Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Wolf 359 Ships Close Up (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Wolf 359 Ships Close Up
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Owing to the new pictures (captured by Starship Millennium) and the new analysis which was possible, I've thrown some other bits and pieces together to try and solve precisely what ships are which when it comes to the anomalies outstanding, and comment on other observations that come from the comparisons.

-

The first one here is the Challenger Class Buran. It's placed alongside the 3D model (position roughly true), to gage how it might look in tact (although, as with all these model comparisons there must be margin for error as they're based on incomplete schematics).

It's difficult to judge precisely what the Buran looks like or how it's configured, as it looks like a total mess. The hull looks wider than perviously thought, and one also must question whether the saucer really is elliptical like the Spingfield, et al...

-

Buran 2. It looks as though the upper nacelle has suffered some sort of collapse, or perhaps its even been severed, as the forward quarter seems to be resting on the secondary hull.

-

I'm going to update my model as I think I can identify what appears to be impulse engines. I believe that the Freedom was previously thought to lack them (or they at least have never been spotted before.). This truncated structure hanging from the saucer does appear to resemble an Impulse Engine...

-

After close scrutiny I have to say that this mystery ship IS the Springfield Class Chekov, and not the Excelsior study model, which I thought it might have been before. The pod structure appears to be present, and you can also make out the reddish bands toward the front of the nacelles. I think this fact confirmed it for me, without a doubt. In my view I consider the Chekov identified.

-

The two here are virtually identical. Also, like its sister class the Springfield, the red bands around the nacelles are just visible in this image. So with the comparison in place there can be no doubt remaining, this is the Cheyenne Class Ahwahnee at Wolf 359.

More...
http://www.trekmania.net/the_fleet/utopia/wolf359_close_up.htm

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice!

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks nice!

I think the reason why the first Challenger shot doesn't look right is because the alignment isn't quite right. I think that you should swivel your 3D model counter-clockwise a little bit (Z-axis), and twist it around so that the port side is a little higher (Y-axis).

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Starship Millennium
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Starship Millennium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking good!

Another thing about the Firebrand: is that structure above the warp engine still going to be considered a torp launcher like the Enterprise-A, or is it just detail left over from the Stargazer pylon? The image of the model itself really doesn't show that area well.

Akira
Member # 850

- posted      Profile for Akira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great job

now some one needs to show what they looked like in the yard with out damage

--------------------
Christopher
[email protected]
SR20Egg

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, some sort of, I don't know, speculative computer modeling would be nice.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was funny Sol..., or it is 3:33 am and I am tired...
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Impressive!

If not that, what should finally convince me that we have really seen the Ahwahnee in the initial screen view?

Seems I will have to make a couple of updates and revisions soon.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And here is the complete collection of Nick's (Starship Millennium's) screencaps for further analysis:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/temp/wolf359.zip

Warning: 4774 kilobytes

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

iam2xtreme
Member # 836

- posted      Profile for iam2xtreme         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I dont know what you guys think but i think that the structure on top of the saucer looks bigger than in Red Admirals CGI version. Certainly taller if not wider also.

--------------------
"Marge, trying is the first step towards failure!!" Homer

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One question concerning your page, Admiral: Don't you think that "Query 1" could be the Springfield?
I don't see any similarities to the Excelsior-model, IMO.
Springfield?

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That impulse engine on the Firebrand doesn't show up on photo of the model, it looks completely flat behind the neck. They could have added it just before filming and after the photo was taken, I suppose.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe a reproduction of some of the wolf 359 screen caps we all know so well, with the CGI pics in-place of all the ships!?!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
iam, look at the distances you are viewing them from, the Admiral has more nacelle showing, making the view further away, making everything look smaller....
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ritten:
the Admiral has more nacelle showing

*snikker*

[Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps