Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$$ "Minefield" $$$ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$$ "Minefield" $$$
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh man... did they really have to f*ck this one up? WHY!? They promised us to keep to the Romulan story established in TOS [Frown]

The ship.. well... the nacelles are WRONG. The color is a bit iffy, but acceptable. I was kinda hoping someone remembered Greg Jein's Romulan tube model from the first Chronology.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I was kinda hoping someone remembered Greg Jein's Romulan tube model from the first Chronology.
Well, I knew that wasn't going to happen. The tubeship isn't "cool" enough. Nor did it probably have warp or cloak capabilities, as was hinted at in BoT. What I'd like to know is, if in ENT the Romulans now have advanced, cloaked ships (with presumably better firepower than just atomic weapons), how could they have possibly lost the war against the humans, who have inferior ships?

There's only one possibility...this ship is from...THE FUTURE!!! [Big Grin]

Seriously though, here's a transcript from a poster at TrekBBS:

quote:
Spock makes the following statement to the entire ship: " As you may recall from your histories this conflict [ Earth / Romulan War] was fought, by our standards today, with primitive atomic weapons and in primitive space vessels ... there were no ship to ship visuals, therefore no Romulan, Human or ally has ever seen the other. " If cloaking was "old hat" for the Romulans I'd bet Spock would have mentioned it in his intraship communication.

After the Romulan ship appears, fires and disappears the following dialog is spoken:
Spock - "I have a blip on the motion sensor, Captian ... Could be the intruder."
Kirk to helm - "Go to full magnification"
Sulu - "Screen is on full mag, sir."
Kirk puzzled - "I don't see anything. [pause] I can't understand it."
Spock - "Invisibility is theoretically possible, Captain. The selective bending of light, but the power cost is enormous. They may have solved that problem."

Airtight continuity, my ass.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, look: I'm actually really a very nice guy, OK?

Nope, that wasn't very convincing, was it? 8)

Only one person round here watches Star Trek with their mother. Come crawling back (again), Colin?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I watch Star Trek episodes with my mother on occassion as well.
J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Biggest Goof First:

Cloaking Device:
Apologist Attitude: The Cloaking device mentioned in BoT might be the first of it's kind... but not the first cloaking device.
Continuity's Attitude: TPTB SCREWED UP LIKE WE SAID THEY WOULD!
I go with the later.

Subspace Radio:
We've talked about this before. The only information we have about the subspace radios of this time is that certain ships did not have them, but that they did exist. So something about subspace radios prevent them from being on ships of this era.

I don't really care about going into anything more that this episode is going to bring up till later, all I know is that it will more than likely suck for us continuity seekers.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, since we're all in confession mode, before we move on to the group hug I'd like to admit that I watched one or two eps with my mum when I used to visit her. It was exhausting, I had to explain everything as we went along. Can you imagine explaining altered timelines while trying to watch (& enjoy) "Yesterday's Enterprise" for the first time? 8(

--------------------

Akira
Member # 850

- posted      Profile for Akira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there some way Archer Meseed up the time line when he seen the Romulan Empire book in Shockwave 2 and thus change the way the empire came about untill archer changed it back maybe in the future Episodes?

[ September 27, 2002, 09:59: Message edited by: Akira ]

--------------------
Christopher
[email protected]
SR20Egg

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*doesn't even allow my parents in the room while I'm watching Star Trek...* [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Lee
Member # 393

Even worse: I had to go round to theirs to watch Crusade on their satellite. After three eps I was so embarrassed I just gave up and waited for it to appear on a terrestrial channel.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanted to make up a transcript of the relavent portions of "Balance of Terror," god damn it! Now what am I going to do this weekend? SURELY NOT THAT.

It is rather clear that the Romulan cloaking device is new (to the Federation) as of TOS. But, you know, we'll see. Quite frankly, in an ideal world, I'd go back and toss out much of the "Balance of Terror" backstory. We didn't know what they looked like? Yeah, sure. Considering that in five or ten years I'll have all the computer power on my desktop (or even palmtop!) necessary to crack any genome handed to me...

Tech speculations aside, I'm interested in how they're going to handle the whole war thing. The Enterprise's speed means she'll be on the frontline of almost any conflict, no matter where it occurs in the human sphere of influence. (As limited as that seems to be.) So are we in for a DS9-like shift of focus? That hardly seems likely, or even, really, desirable. We already had a war show, after all. I guess. I don't know. It would be fun, I suppose.

Of course, really, there isn't necessarily any reason why the war has to occur during Enterprise's run. Spock claimed it was an "Earth/Romulan" conflict, but that's simply because Roddenberry hadn't thought of the Federation yet. And even afterwards, the words Earth and human were used regularly. There's nothing absolutely canon that demands that the Romulan war be the event that finally pushes the UFP into existence.

Sorak
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for Sorak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Is there some way Archer messed up the time line when he saw the Romulan Empire book in Shockwave 2...
That would be logical. Remeber Daniels told Archer not to worry about that book. (I actually lauged out loud with that line, it was tired and it seemed so darn funny!)

The Romulan ship could more than likely be from an alternate timeline, or from the future. I recall people on the forum speculating that "FutureGuy" was a Romulan, so they might have some diabolical temporal plan.

Did anyone mention in the early 1st-season episodes who the "Temporal Cold War" was being fought against? Daniels mentioned that "his people" (a future evolved Federation?) were fighting against somebody-or-other...did he specifically say the Suliban?

And why are they using time travel so much in this series anyway??? Don't they have any other good show ideas???

--------------------
Petty Officer 1st Class Sorak
Chief Tactical Officer
USS Gemini NCC-74680
Task Force 44
Task Group 3
Bravo Fleet

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You kiddin' me? The temporal cold war story is the ONLY time-travel story in the series, and I hope the hell they keep it that way. Voyager had tons of time-travel shenanigans, and while a good temporal story is fun, they did it WAY too much on that series.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Spock said it is possible but expends great energy - maybe that is what is going on in this ENT episode... They have a PROTOTYPE or something - but it expends WAY too much energy?

OK, I'm the first to crack up about continuity... but watching "Through the Looking Glass" the other night... and remembering "Emperor's New Cloak". Hmmmmm.

Can someone explain that one?

Really the whole problem with Enterprise is they are relying too heavily on what we know about established races TOO much. What else is there about Romulans that could make a show and make them distinct from another race if 1. We don't see them. 2. We don't have them cloak. They are just the same as every other race. This is where the writers/producers should move in and establish a new angle about these races - something that can exist in the 22nd century and still fit with what we already know about the individual races... Klingons, Romulans, Ferengi.

BETTER STILL - why don't they invent NEW Alien threats/their own little universe (we didn't get to see much of the other UFP races in Trek). Andorians are a start. So are the Suliban.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, basically, they can't possibly produce a show people will like, because if they bring in established aliens the fans revolt, and if they invent new aliens the fans revolt.
Akira
Member # 850

- posted      Profile for Akira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i guess the borg or archer could have messed up the time line and thus messed up the way the romulan's and Earth ships look more advanced.

maybe later in ths show they'll try to change the time line back the way it was before all the interferance from the borg and the change that archer could have done, or the romulns lost the war and lost most of there technology in the war and went back into hiding untill TOS-BOT.

Is it me the romulas only come out when they want something or are trying to take some kind of technology? Like Pegasus , EntC , Enterprise NX-01 or trying to start a war.

To me thats how the romulans got so big in the TNG from TOS

I feel the Romulans Stole all there Technology.

--------------------
Christopher
[email protected]
SR20Egg

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps