Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Lakota "refit" (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Lakota "refit"
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Lakota's refit was mentioned in dialogue, within the context of the first episode I believe.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well theres your answer.

who'd've thunk it.. the rumor of the refit originated because they said quite plainly it was being refit in dialogue in both episodes.

time to dance!

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i choose break dancing. where did my parachute pants get to?
IP: Logged
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Maybe the whole Lakota being super-duper was part of Admiral what's his face's attempt at taking over Earth/Starfleet.

This was likely the first step in upgrading all the Excelsior class ships for the looming war with the dominion and the Admiral was using the Lakota as his personal scalpel when trying to seize power.
That would also explain the Hood's firepower and give a good reason for an 80 year old design still serving as a large part of the fleet.
The Miranda had likely undergone a simmular upgrade and had the phasers in the saucer installed as well as those in the rollbar upgraded.

...the ablative armor comment was directed towards the Defiant by Benteen. The lakota had no armor. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
he Miranda had likely undergone a simmular upgrade and had the phasers in the saucer installed
the Miranda class has always had phasers on the saucer section. they simply weren't used in tWoK.
IP: Logged
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by AndrewR:
[qb]...the ablative armor comment was directed towards the Defiant by Benteen. The lakota had no armor. [Big Grin]

No ablative armor, she might have a few extra feet of duranium/tritanium alloy plating here and there. [Roll Eyes] People seems to think that no Starfleet armor existed, or was effective, before the ablative armor rolled around.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the ship was refitted, this took place some time before the episodes. Sisko and Odo took the ship to travel from DS9 to earth, meaning she had been in space for some time at that point.

At least the fatal "only ship in the area"-illness is not Enterprise-specific. When Leyton said Lakota was the only ship in orbit, no one even thought about all those ships at Utopia. They just relied on Lakota's transporter to gain control over earth. On the other hand, maybe all those officers Leyton transferred here and there were part of the plan to disable Utopia's help somehow, too (maybe he put someone in command of UP and that guy managed to disable the facilities, something like that).

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC it was implied that after the Lakota got back to Earth, the refit started.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which doesn't leave much time for potential upgrades. How long was Sisko on earth? Between a week and a month, I'd say. So either the upgrades were not that important or large at all or they had already started to work on the ship before she left earth to DS9. (If this is the case I wonder why they sent the ship to DS9 at all.)

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It also depends on the type of upgrade. The yard could have completed components and just did a total whatever swap out when the Lakota arrived. All she had to do was is to make sure everything fit, system check, and so forth. The fittings of a Type VIII Mod8 phaser emitter can't be that different from a Mod11, right? [Big Grin]

Maybe the upgrade was more of a test for the yard, to see how fast they can rewire an old Excelsior into a new Excelsior. You know, in case war breaks out, and upgunned ships are needed.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've checked the dialogue. Commander Benteen mentions in "Paradise Lost" that the Lakota was undergoing her refit, and would be finished on the 14th - when she would take command. Incidentally, the Lakota was dispatched to stop the Defiant BEFORE this date. As such, it's possible that she could have been incomplete...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what date was the battle?

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
even if a refit was only partially complete, some of the new junk would probably have been operational. when they launched the 1701 early in TMP everything new worked except the transporter and the warp drive.

BTW, most of the ships at UP are under construction.. theres a good reason that they cant do anything.. they dont have like, engines or complete hulls and stuff, yo.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Utopia Planitia also refits ships, so there would have been functional vessels available. Or at least shuttles or runabouts.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, there isn't clear proof that the Lakota would have been the only starship in the vicinity.

All that is stated is that Leyton ordered the Lakota specifically to assist during the power failure. Perhaps this was simply a command decision, and not an indication that other ships wouldn't have been available.

And the engagement between the Lakota and the Defiant could have taken place far away from Earth, so that Leyton wouldn't have to factor the other ships in Sol system in his plans in any way. Half a dozen "legit" starships could have been orbiting Earth at the time, waiting for orders from Leyton and only idly wondering why the Lakota just left orbit.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps