Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Kang's Ship in "FLASHBACK"!?

Author Topic: Kang's Ship in "FLASHBACK"!?
[email protected]
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anybody know if Kang's ship as seen in the Voyager episode "FLASHBACK" was a CGI or was there ann actual model built?

JDW

IP: Logged
Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, no CG vendor is listed in the credits.

Boris

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

isn't it the same model as was used in trials and tribbleations? that was built by greg jein.
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it was the modified K'Tinga from ST6 and had remained like that.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was probably a physical model considering that the new smaller Excelsior miniature was built by Jein for the episode.

Anyway, I think it was a K'tinga rather than a D7. I might go and check my tape.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I checked my tape of "Flasback" and it's definitely a K'tinga. It's difficult to be sure which specific miniature it is though.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Note that Kang's ship has the "aft torpedo tube" /motion control rod butthole covered over with a bit of greeblings. This is what was done with Qo'noS One, too, but that ship had a parabolic antenna there, not this angular piece.

I guess these could be the same model, and the piece covering the butthole was removable so that the aft motion control point could be used. And the original piece just got lost between ST6 and "Flashback", exactly because it was removable.

The "T&T" model wouldn't have been available at that point yet. And the CGI models wouldn't have had the covered hole. Nor would any cheap AMT kit reproductions.

Timo Saloniemi

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
I guess these could be the same model, and the piece covering the butthole was removable so that the aft motion control point could be used. And the original piece just got lost between ST6 and "Flashback", exactly because it was removable.

I think that's most likely the case here, except I have a feeling that the Kronos One miniature was already modified to it's "Flashback"-like appearance for "Way of the Warrior". Surely not all the K't'ingas in "WotW" were AMT jobs.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like those pajamas with the back flap!

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

[email protected]
Ex-Member

If Kang's ship in "Flashback" was a K't'inga then why were some of the bridge consoles visible on the Excelsior viewscreen? On the IKC AMAR the only bridge station visible was the helm/navigation station behind the Captain's chair. And can any of you explain why the aft torpedo tube would be covered?

JDW

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh...what on (or, I suppose, off) earth does bridge layout have to do with which ship model is used? Things things Are Not Congruent. They Do Not Relate.

As far as the disturbingly referenced aft torpedo tube goes, presumably on some ships it has been replaced with neat techie greebles that do Important Things.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a good place to promote my Wacky Theory #74205 about Klingon ships, heard here before.

Namely, Klingon Houses tend to own their ships, especially if these are older or lesser types. Such ships are House heirlooms that are extensively customized and refitted to meet the needs (and financial realities) of the House. It would be odd for these to share an internal configuration standard. Probably these ships even proudly bear the individual scars of battle, adding internal bracing and relocating the bulkheads rather than try to return to the pre-battle standard...

The newest and largest vessels in turn are Imperial vessels, more standardized in their (initial) appearance. There can be some customizing there, too, for special missions (like the antenna on the Chancellor's ship). And some of the top ships are probably owned by wealthy Houses and not just by the Empire.

Timo Saloniemi

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps