Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » [SOT] Shooting down incoming stuff with lasers.

Author Topic: [SOT] Shooting down incoming stuff with lasers.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember some discussion on the boards, at least a couple years ago, about that scene in TNG where the E-D shoots down a Ferengi missle aimed at a wormhole. Someone remarked that it would be really tough for our technology to lock on and shoot down a missile moving THAT quickly.

Well...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, sounds interesting. Personally, I would find their tracking system more interesting than the use of a laser. Is there anywhere were we can find more information?
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure that's the most sensitive part of the entire weapon... sensitive in tracking, and "sensitive" as in "classified." [Wink]

Still, it's pretty interesting. Anyone know an approximate velocity of a modern, common artillery shell that the laser was likely designed to shoot down?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not really all that amazed or impressed, the ability to detect objects that size, and shoot down objects slightly bigger than that, has been around for over a decade. Sounds like merely a millimeter-band counter battery radar with the added feature of targeting. The biggest breakthrough in this event, IMO, is getting a laser powerful, mobile, and reliable enough for this sort of task.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One would also assume a degree of "cheating" in the testing, in that counter-artillery radars usually don't lock too quickly into single unexpected shots, but a little prepointing would do wonders... An operational targeting system would be another issue to be tested separately. An early capture would be essential for giving the laser enough dwell time on the shell.

Counter-artillery lasers sound just fine, but if the enemy dumps something like twelve shells at a time (the absolute minimum in reality, I'd suspect), the laser won't have time to get them all. And multiple lasers cost multiple bucks. It would probably be more cost-effective to use missiles or unguided but precision-aimed rockets to dispose of the incomings. Many current missiles claim theoretical anti-shell capability, and I think at least Sea Wolf has gone beyond theoretical. Cost per shot might be higher than for a laser, but practical cost per minute would be significantly less, if the alternative is destruction of target.

A laser like this might be very handy in protecting against terrorist/guerilla unguided rockets, however. Those won't necessarily be fired in coordinated, time-on-target volleys, but in single, more easily intercepted shots. Of course, if the target is known to be protected by a laser, then it's probably worth the while of the attacker to launch a few dozen Katyushas at the same time, to get rid of the target AND the laser...

Timo Saloniemi

Hunter
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Hunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Seawolf has succesfullly intercepted a 4.5 inch shell along with Exocet missiles.

As to the lasers abiltiy against Katyushas, favorite weapon of Hizballah and Islamic Jihad, would it suprise anyone that the Israelis are involved? (At least they were on the THEl system)

Also I wonder if there are anything that is coming up in Ballistics that could change this? I have seen something a while back regarding steerable vanes or winglets for shells, something like that could improve a shells ability against the laser.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps