Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$Tech on the Ones ["Singularity" Spoilers] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$Tech on the Ones ["Singularity" Spoilers]
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of those people might not be maintaining the ship, they could be analysing the info the Enterprise collects on its travels. Sensor logs, cultural watnot, and upgrading or testing new technology.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"We don't now if it was Cochrane's LAB, but it certainly was the launch site."

By "lab", I meant the place where he built and launched the rocket.

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am of the opinion that we could have a show with a small scout vessel of seven and have no difference between what we see now with a ship of 82 and this hypothetical ship. It seems the seven leads do all the work of a ship.

The first show and the next two shows, TNG and DS9, had a better represenation of the non-leads aboard a ship. Hell, we got to know some of them. I am thinking of Christine Chapel of the original, Barclay of TNG, and several characters, such as Leeta, Nog, and Rom, on DS9. In Voyager and this series, I can't tell you anything about the other crew members. They are an afterthought crafted for the script as extras.

As for the Neptune class, I would like to see rather than hear about Starfleet ships. We know more of the Vulcan Starfleet than we do the Human Starfleet. I would think we might see human ships sooner or later. The Enterprise has to return for maintenance and supplies to Earth. Or they so resourceful that they never have to return to Earth?

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You forget Enterprise has its Crewman Cuttler or whatever her name is. I'd bet good money she'll pop up more in the future.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear the actress has other obligations.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aaaanyhow... Having a hyper-automated ship might not jibe with what we saw in TOS, but it certainly helps make ENT more "futuristic" and less likely to be dated by the triumphant progress of automation in the real world.

And having thousands of black holes within the reach of the Vulcans lends more credibility to the idea that one could have snagged Voyager VI (and possibly several other Earth craft). Perhaps most of these are simply very difficult to observe with any of the 20th century techniques.

And it's only logical that we'd know more about the Vulcan starfleet than about the Earth one. The former is the more prominent organization at the time, after all...

Timo Saloniemi

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Difficult to observe? Unless stuff is getting sucked in at an appreciable rate, we can't observe them at all. There are theories that there could be a black hole orbiting our own sun, and we can't see it.

[ November 22, 2002, 00:38: Message edited by: TSN ]

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Oooh...do you think it's safe to add an S.S. Neptune to my shiplist, or is the class-name-scheme still too iffy at this point? (What with the presence of letter-combination-prefixes as well.)
Well, the first ship of the NX class isn't the "S.S. NX," is it? It's "Enterprise." For all we know, with B&B's fucked-up registry system, the first ship of the Neptune class is called Yorktown, with a registry of NEPTUNE-01.

quote:
I am of the opinion that we could have a show with a small scout vessel of seven and have no difference between what we see now with a ship of 82 and this hypothetical ship. It seems the seven leads do all the work of a ship.
Interesting observation. I remember before ENT debuted, Berman stated in an interview that the ship would be small & cramped like a submarine, with crewmembers bumping into each other all the time for lack of breathing space. Yet the ship's saucer is about as large as the NCC-1701's saucer, but with 83 people instead of 430. Do we see a crew packed in like sardines? Not really. We hardly ever even see other crewmembers in the hallways. They must be in their quarters having sex or something, if what we've seen so far is any indication.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps