Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Married To the Tech! ["Star Trek Nemesis" SPOILERS]

Author Topic: $$ Married To the Tech! ["Star Trek Nemesis" SPOILERS]
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Placeholder for technology discussion for "Star Trek Nemesis". I'll do my usual point form report, however it will likely be fairly bare-bones until a subsequent viewing. I heartily recommend that everyone watch this film without deliberately going for the tech details and nits!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh you suck! Post this while I'm typing mine. [Razz]

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Starship Millennium
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Starship Millennium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
I heartily recommend that everyone watch this film without deliberately going for the tech details and nits!

I did, but I can't help myself. [Smile]

Just a few first impressions:

I hate the new tricorders and phasers. The tricorders look like glorified PDAs, and the phasers seem like some sort of futuristic back massagers. Who's idea was it to change their design, anyway?

As I mentioned before, Deck 29 on the Enterprise-E. I'll be damned. Maybe five decks were removed after the Borg incursion and were just renumbered and never replaced? [Big Grin]

Kudos to the VFX team... the Enterprise-E actually looks good in this movie and doesn't seem like some ugly little racecar wannabe. I liked the different angles they used... all of them were unique. Beautiful shots of it in Spacedock too, with all the guts revealed. Too bad they didn't use workbees or actually render the Sphinx Workpod for the utility craft though...

I can now understand why we didn't see any D'deridex class ships... Donatra probably didn't have enough pull to get any. The Valdore-type warbirds seem inferior to the D'deridex, IMO. They wouldn't have worked for that battle scene, anyway.

Good to see ol' NX-01 muscled its way into the observation lounge display... [Smile] And speaking of which, where did they get the room to put that new console? And I wasn't paying attention, but is Picard missing his ready room window?

Where did those huge-ass Jefferies tubes come from? And again with the gravity in the turbolift shafts... you'd think they'd learn after a while. [Smile]

Also like the new LCARS color scheme, as well as the bridge additions, like the huge tactical displays and armory. The focus on the helm station when new courses were plotted was also pretty cool. Thumbs up to Sickbay too... bringing in the old TNG biobeds, set pieces, and layout really helped make the Enterprise-E feel less chilly and more like "home."

So are phasers attached to belts magnetically? The ops officer didn't lose hers when the bridge decompressed, yet Picard's fell out of his holster during the fight with Shinzon quite easily.

No mention of quantum torpedoes at all. It looked like they were used though... you can see blue torpedoes in the first trailer when the E-E strafes the Scimitar. Yellowish torpedoes were also used, which I assume are the photons. LaForge reports that they've emptied their supply of photons but doesn't say anything about the quantums. And the fact that the Enterprise-E ran out of them rather quickly further proves that the E-E isn't a warship, but is an explorer just like its predecessor.

Most of the phasers eminated from the saucer, which is a plus, but it looked like beams came from the nacelle pylons, too.

Not really a problem, but Ops is quickly reconfigured for helm control. Excellent use of the stations. Another new transporter effect as well.

Autodestruct conks out pretty quickly... shouldn't this logically be one of the last things to go offline?

Scimitar mounts 52 disruptors and 26 photon launchers... pretty heavy armament.

All I can think of for now... the movie was awesome! Quite a refereshing change from the overall mediocrity we had with DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise in the last few years. Hopefully it does well... this movie is just begging for a sequel! [Smile]

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Starship Millennium:
And the fact that the Enterprise-E ran out of them rather quickly further proves that the E-E isn't a warship, but is an explorer just like its predecessor.

The Defiant carried only a few dozen torpedoes, and she's a warship. The Galaxy carried over 200, and she's an explorer. See the problem?

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Starship Millennium
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Starship Millennium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by David Templar:
The Defiant carried only a few dozen torpedoes, and she's a warship. The Galaxy carried over 200, and she's an explorer. See the problem?

Yes, but the 1701-E is several times larger than the Defiant and just below the Galaxy's sizeclass. It should have the room for a sizeable torpedo magazine. If it were a pure warship, it should carry at least as much if not more than the E-D, especially with massive reductions in scientific and crew support systems, but it seemed to lose most of its torp complement within fifteen minutes. (I'll have to watch it again to gauge the ship's actual torpedo use, but I remember a few volleys of about ten to fifteen torpedoes a piece.)

And the Defiant = warship argument opens up a whole 'nuther can of worms... it's a destroyer at most, but by no means a warship in my opinion. [Wink] But I'll keep it to Nemesis.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well maybe quite a few more could have been fired when we were looking in on the E-E, the Scimitar, or the Valdore.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Starship Millenium, did they cut a few scenes out of your version.."not a warship"???? [Smile]

Phasers and torps everywhere. Count the number of torps you actually saw and multiply by the time the entire battle took place, it'll get a lot clearer. EE certainly took a beating like a warship. She may not have been designed as a warship, but the Federation was certainly entering a more militaristic era during its development and it looks to me like some of them certainly had that forthought in mind.

Starship Millennium
Member # 822

I'll concede to that, but I still don't see any distinction between the Enterprise-E's tactical ability and that of an equivalent ship we'd expect from Starfleet around 2380. My point was not that the ship is a science vessel and nothing more, but that it's not the Borg-killer, armed to the teeth, ubership most fanboys make it out to be... why there is so much attachment to this idea is still a mystery to me.
Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with that...she's still an explorer...just much better equipped for the rash of hostilities that seem to threaten the Federation alot lately.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've also posited that The Sovereign class is an explorer, but one designed to explore stuff in and near Federation space. The Galaxy IMO is better as a far space explorer, with better provisions for lengthy time away from home.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two threads for the same thing are a bit much. And the other one is longer. Plus, it was started first (posting a "placeholder", along w/ being silly, doesn't count). So, good-bye.

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps