Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Newish Wolf-359 Material? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Newish Wolf-359 Material?
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, that's Paris.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Are these ships 'official', or do they fall into the same category assigned to ships mentioned in computer games, card games, and the like?"

I'd say it falls in the same territory as fan fiction, but, then, that's where I'd put computer/card games and such, too.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
Don't look at me, I hate London...it smells funny.

*chuckle* Animaniacs flashback: "The answer, my friends, is blowin' in the wind -- except in New Jersey, where what's blowing in the wind smells funny."

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These ship names fall into the same category as the U.S.S. Trinculo - material created for an exhibtion that has never, and almost certainly will never be seen on screen.

(As far as I could see the Trinculo isn't in the London exhibition, but the Leeds and Valkyrie are.)

The names show a lack of imagination and as there's no class, registry or design associated with any of them they don't really have much appeal.

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, the imfamous Trinculo from the Planet Hollywood... too bad the hard drive where the pic was at became damaged in an earthquake.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which Planet Hollywood is this? There are, or rather were, many Planet Hollywoods.

Many names in the canon Star Trek are, by their own merits, unimaginative. We have ships named after old naval vessels, heroic figures in history, obscure scientists, soldiers, geographical locations on Earth, and so on. These names on the Wolf 359 display adhere very closely to this tradition.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Identity Crisis:
These ship names fall into the same category as the U.S.S. Trinculo - material created for an exhibtion that has never, and almost certainly will never be seen on screen.

I would just like to emphasize that even while there's no hard evidence of the Trinculo being in an episode, neither is there any that it was made up for an exhibition.

quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
"Are these ships 'official', or do they fall into the same category assigned to ships mentioned in computer games, card games, and the like?"

I'd say it falls in the same territory as fan fiction, but, then, that's where I'd put computer/card games and such, too.

How can anything that's officially licensed be fan fiction? That's a contradiction in terms.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Identity Crisis
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
[QUOTE]I would just like to emphasize that even while there's no hard evidence of the Trinculo being in an episode, neither is there any that it was made up for an exhibition.

Agree that it was never in an episode.
But, what was it created for, if not an exhibition? Or does Planet Hollywood not count as an exhibition? Exhibitions don't need to charge huge entrance fees...

quote:
How can anything that's officially licensed be fan fiction? That's a contradiction in terms.
If a fan writes an officially licensed novel then that's officially licensed fiction written by a fan. Sounds like officially licensed fan fiction to me. And gosh, what about fans who write episodes? The line is so thin it might as well not exist! [Razz]

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

The picture was taken back in October 21, 1995. I went to the Planet Hollywood in Beverly Hills, CA for my mom's birthday. The funny thing is, someone else went there and posted their own pictures online. I found it in a website but unfortunately both my pics and my that person's were lost in an earthquate when the hard drive was crushed. I am still looking for the 35mm copies of mine. But it has been at least 7 years since I've seen them.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, don't keep us in suspense: wat kind of ship was it?
Canon or kit-bash?
Dammit: I'm a modeler, not a psychic!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Identity Crisis
Member # 67

The Trinculo? It's a Galaxy class, NCC-71867. Sorry, I thought everyone had heard of it. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

It was one of the 4 foot models. Just think of it as a redress of the Enterprise-D after Preemetive Strike.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crap. I was hoping for something new.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still not convinced that it wasn't in a DS9 ep.

And about the whole "fan fiction" thing, I would say that that label along with "Fandom" denotes stuff that isn't officially licensed or condoned, as opposed to "Non-canon," which is stuff that's not necessarily a part of the continuity of the shows and films, but nevertheless was officially sanctioned in some way.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

I know at least four fully built 4 foot models of the Enterprise-D were built. One model was used as the USS Odessey and the other one was the TNG All Good Things model labeled USS Venture. Someone I met has an unbuilt Enterprise-D in his house since he was a freelance model maker for TNG, DS9, and Voyager before CGI came in.

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps