Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Stigmatic Tech ["Stigma" Spoilers] (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$ Stigmatic Tech ["Stigma" Spoilers]
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Short post tonight due to limited time. An interesting episode, with some very far-reaching implcations for the Vulcans. Not too much tech, but here goes:

-I know there's a semi-debate going on here about how much actual exploration is being done by Enterprise... Today, they're visiting a Big Medical Conference Thing, which seems an almost routine thing to be happening so far out. One wonders just how far the Vulcans have explored.

-Phlox's second wife shows up with w aneutron microscope. NEUTRON microscope? I thought the whole idea behind ELECTRON microscopes is that electrons are so tiny, that images resolved from bombarded electrons are that much better. Neutrons are huge!

-The shuttle that ferries wife & microscope to Enterprise seems to be adapted from the Swarm ships of Voyager. They look like trilobytes. Also note the orientation of Enterprise - she is uncharacteristically showing her dorsal side to the planet. Not that it matters, but it really doesn't happen that often.

-The Big Medical Thing is in facilities that look GREAT. They've really raised the bar with the opening shot - a huge building with rail transportation, a big veranda, and bird flying aroud inside the construct.

-The Vulcan delegation are but a fraction of the over one million physicians on their home planet.

-The revelation of the episode is Vulcan mind melds in this era are frowned upon by the population. No wonder the Fal Tor Pan is legendary - Vulcan society has repressed the concept.

-We know that Denobulans take three mates each. As is demonstrated in this episode, this makes things every complex. Poor Trip!

-T'pol has had Pa'nar Syndrome for a year... She got it from the guys on the Vulcan ship who were experimenting with emotions last year. Apparently, in this day and age Vulcan telepaths are in the minority, and T'Pol can't meld. However, non-telepaths can be the recipient of the Syndrome.

-The movie this week is "The Black Cat"! But we don't get to see it. Instead, we get to see the gym again, where we see there are now some futuristic exercise bikes.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(insert eyebrow-lifting smiley)

Fascinating...

Never mind the quality of acting or writing in this episode, or whether this works as an AIDS allegory, or any other such aspects. The Trek continuity content here is sufficient to make this one a must see.

I have no problem with the concept that most Vulcans can't meld, training or no training. It could well be that Starfleet favors those who can - or those who can favor Starfleet.

As for melding being "mythical", clearly this is something of a simplification. Melding (or comparable telepathy) does seem to play a major role in the Vulcan society, in the bonding ritual and in katra transfer. I have a hard time swallowing the idea that bonding and katra transfer are minority pursuits on Vulcan. But things related to sex and death probably "don't count" as they are highly taboo to begin with.

Timo Saloniemi

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*stick*

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This *does* work as an AIDS allegory, albeit with the usual "Enterprise" sledgehammer subtlety. It's pretty easy to say Vulcan telepaths = gays and Pa'nar = AIDS, but at least they didn't SAY it straight out this time... The most they did IIRC was to mention Earth's stamping out bigotry "almost a century ago".

Oh, and I forgot to mention that THIS time, "most" of the Enterprise crew was granted shore leave (instead of the lot system they used on Risa, which STILL confounds me), and it seems that everyone was taking advantage of it except Trip. Mayweather comes back wtih some bruises related to an alien game involving cows and a big ball, I think.

Mark

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I saw that shuttle in the beginning, I actually thought it was the Ferengi transport from "Acquisition." The forked "nose" looked right, as did the flat bottom...

(Can't say I blame you guys for excising that episode from your memories, though... [Wink] )

I thought that that microscope prop was a pretty poor excuse for a futuristic piece of equipment, IMO. In later series we saw these really bulky things that seemed to have some pretty good capabilities, yet this thing was a lot smaller. Yes, I know that tech probably advanced a bit so the TNG-era doodads could actually do more, but it still seemed strange.

As for the "on the frontier" aspect... don't forget that the Enterprise is hardly the fastest kid on the block. [Wink] They may think they're "all that" by zipping around at Warp 5, but the Vulcans have been said to make Warp 6.5, which is more than twice as fast on the old WF^3 scale... So in that respect, it's actually kinda ironic that they're doing this "exploring" that is basically pointless since the Vulcans have already been there and done that.

Hey, maybe that's why the NX-01 is never mentioned in later centuries -- because they only boldly went where everyone ELSE had gone before! [Razz]

Anyway...

I know that playing the tech game is always dubious given the development of real-life theories and stuff in the past thirty-five years, but for some reason a Vulcan Palm Pilot that can take DNA samples seems pretty advanced, even for the Vulcans at that time. (Then again, maybe all they did was scrape some of the skin residue that T'Pol's fingerprint left, and analyze it elsewhere.)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Mayweather comes back wtih some bruises related to an alien game involving cows and a big ball, I think.

Mark, you might want to rephrase that. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Couldnt the Sh'Ran go warp 7, anyway Im not nitpicking, but yeah, Archer has a lot invested in his lil' NX there so Im sure hes just proud of his girl despite the fact that its not as sophisticated as its Vulcan counterparts.

As for that recycled ferengi shuttle, was that supposed to represent a Denobulan (sp?) ship then? I know this is a far reach, but possibly the ferengi stole their ship and hence the similarity, afterall, the ferengi supposedly bought the invention of warp drive. Actually, nevermind, I dont even want to think about it, I want to sleep tonite. [Wink]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:

-I know there's a semi-debate going on here about how much actual exploration is being done by Enterprise... Today, they're visiting a Big Medical Conference Thing, which seems an almost routine thing to be happening so far out. One wonders just how far the Vulcans have explored.

Well, thats kind of an old issue isn't it?
One doesn't minimise Christopher Columbus's voyages simply because some pesky native American's happened to explore the place centuries eariler. Although maybe one should....
There's a point here somewhere, but it seems to have disappeared.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

quote:
Originally posted by Dat:
Mark, you might want to rephrase that. [Big Grin]

No. SOMEONE has to make an attempt at livening up Mayweather's character. And if it takes a big ball to do it...

Mark

--------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
One doesn't minimise Christopher Columbus's voyages simply because some pesky native American's happened to explore the place centuries eariler.

Well, no, but can you name the first Chinese ship to circumnavigate the globe?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do we even have it's name recorded? I remember that the admiral was named. What's the name of the ship?

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chow Mi Fun.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't even aware that the Chinese had circumnavigated. They did explore plenty around the Indian and Pacific oceans, though - but not in single ships. When they sailed out, it was usually with at least a thousand ships!

The old translitteration of the name of the early 15th century exploring admiral IIRC is Cheng Ho. I have no idea what the modern translitteration would be. Also, Cheng never sailed to the US AFAI currently known - although Chinese shipwrecks from before Cheng's time have been found on US coast. Certainly he didn't circumnavigate in a properly documented manner.

Quick, name the ship from Magellan's fleet that actually survived that recorded circumnavigation!

Timo Saloniemi

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not all up on my Chinese history much, but from what I know it was Zheng He who was supposedly the first (1421-23AD).

Actually, Magellan did not make it the whole trip so he really is getting too much credit already, as he died in the Pacific 2 years into the voyage (1519-22AD). The captain that DID make make it however, was his successor -- Juan Sebastian del Cano. From what I recall, of the 5 ships in Magellans fleet, three actually made it to the Pacific, the Concepcion, the Trinidad, and the Victoria; of which the Victoria was the only surviving ship. They were the first European (portugese) sailors, in anycase, to circumnavigate the world.

The first English guy was Frank Drake like almost 60 years later (1577-80AD), with the only ship there surviving being the Golden Hind Heh! [Big Grin]

The first American guy was Robert Gray (1787-90AD) with the ship Columbia Rediviva .

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Chow Mi Fun.

Can't have been that much fun, all the chinese admirals of the time were eunechs. Not exactly what I'd call an incentive to go for promotion but still...

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps