Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Designing the Prometheus (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Designing the Prometheus
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who says they weren't trying to? In the end, it's going to boil down to "what feels right". And since this will be a matter of opinion, there's no way a single answer will ever be attained.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The NX number could be assigned to the concept of the Prometheus.

The year is 2348..
Starfleet Think Tank: "Hey Council! We'd like to start a Top Secret design study on a "multi-vector" assault vessel. Perhaps we can use it againt the Cardassians, Tzenkethi and Tholians!"
Council: "Ehm... sure. Here, have a couple of NX numbers! Have fun!"

Then it turns out the whole multi-vector concept isn't particularly practical. But several years later, after the Borg attacks and the Dominion threat, someone remembers the old Prometheus project. They basically start redesigning the thing from scrap but noone bothers to acquire a new NX number.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Perhaps the original NX-59etc. was something rather different. Or it could've depended on some technologies from the Intrepid or Sovereign projects.

How's about this for a theory:

The Prometheus is a multi-vector assault ship - right?
It seperates into 3 individual ships - right?

So, the Prometheus was in the design stage and they needed a 3rd part to complete it. Along comes an older test ship that was partially successful and had the old reg number on it. Being lazy and in a rush due to the war, they never bothered to change the number.

Or you could just stick with the facts - this is just one of those annoying f***ups from the effects people that we'll never agree on.

Anyway, I thought the reg issue was solved in a previous thread, why bring it up again? [Confused]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or here is yet a stupider idea:
Perhaps since it is 3 warp capible vessels integrated into one vessel...the main vessel has the NCC-7x registry and the vessel separated into 3 distinct vessels each have their own unique registries....

hmm...i wonder if they have interchangeable parts....say for example the Enterprise-D and the Yamato could swap saucers or something.... [Razz]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The point I made (somewhere else) about the Galaxys is that the USS Galaxy is 70637, the Challenger is 71099, the Yamato is 71807, etc. If numbers were assigned to ships when they were "concepts", then the Galaxy prototype would have a far lower number than its production sisters. Unless you want to claim a design time of 6 months for the Galaxy. As it stands, it appears that numbers are assigned when ships are produced, and so the Prometheus would have had to have been launched in the 40s or 50s. Which is absurd.

I think that there is no more reason for each of the 3 parts to have separate numbers as there is for the 2 parts of the Enterprise D to have 2 different numbers.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone seems to forget about the poor old 71201 Prometheus... While the 59650/74913 Prometheus may have been started in the 40-50s, it couldn't possibly have been called Prometheus...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My theory is that the 59650 number was actually Starfleet Intelligence trying to confuse everyone else out there about the identity of the secret warship that was being developed.

Based on the comments in this thread, I'd say that disinformation campaign has succeeded. [Razz]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...of course it didn't fool the Romulans.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
My theory is that the 59650 number was actually Starfleet Intelligence trying to confuse everyone else out there about the identity of the secret warship that was being developed.

Finally, someone agrees with me! [Big Grin]

And I'd forgotten about the USS "Commanded by a Lt JG" Prometheus, but it merely confirms my belief that 59650 was wrong (hopefully deliberately, otherwise the Starfleet Paint Division need to have their eyes tested). [Smile]

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My theory is that the reg number is a really bad way of dating starships, full of flaws and inconsistencies.

If you really need to date a starship, talk to her Captain first.

*gets shot*

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix:

I think that there is no more reason for each of the 3 parts to have separate numbers as there is for the 2 parts of the Enterprise-D to have 2 different numbers.

Hey junior, I think you missed the point with what I said:

"Perhaps since it is 3 warp capible vessels integrated into one vessel...the main vessel has the NCC-7x registry and when the vessel is separated into 3 distinct vessels each would have their own unique registries...."

The saucer of a Galaxy is not warp capible and therefore really cannot be defined as a true 'starship' on its own, and therefore contains the registry of its mothership (the stardrive section).

HOWEVER, seeing as the Prometheus can separate into 3 individual warp capable vessels, allowing 1 'starship' to become 3 'starships', one could theorize that presumably each section is self-sustaining (as each are warp capable), suggesting the possibility that each warp capible section has its own unique registry number, just as any other warp capible starship generally has its own. Were they simple impluse driven door wedges then I would say otherwise.

In anycase, so little is known about the Prometheus, one hates to theorize about this, however it does at least make a little sense, if not some creative logic, much more than the idle chatter to which i am defending against.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the article, Sternbech based the ship on Voyager and added Enterprise-E components to it. That's why it looks so new and shiny.

In the Star Trek universe... the Prometheus could have been a testbed ship for technologies that were later incorporated into the Sovereign and Intrepid Classes. I know it's non-canon but in my ST Bridge Commander game, the regenerative shielding system was first used on the Prometheus along with the ablative hull armor.

Now, can anyone please scan the Sternbech sketches so we can see them.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Phoenix
Member # 966

Ooops. Sorry [Smile]

That does make sense. Although I would have thought it more likely that they would be given registries like 74913-1 or 74913-B rather than completely different ones. But I suppose its possible...

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Part 4 of my Scanning Marathon, here are scans of the full article:

http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/646/Prommie-design1.jpg
http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/646/Prommie-design2.jpg
http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/646/Prommie-design3.jpg
http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/646/Prommie-design4.jpg
http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/646/Prommie-design5.jpg

Enjoy!
-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
HOWEVER, seeing as the Prometheus can separate into 3 individual warp capable vessels, allowing 1 'starship' to become 3 'starships'..

OR...3 ships to become one.

"CONSTRUCTICONS! Join & form DEVASTATOR!!"

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps