Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Tribbled Tech! ["The Breach" Spoilers] (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$ Tribbled Tech! ["The Breach" Spoilers]
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meh... Short report today, as this was mostly a character episode - and a decent one.

-Phlox has a tribble! It's cute and furry and cuddly and... and doesn't last very long. Tribbles are rare, already outlawed on most planets, and the only thing that keeps their population in check are the lizards on their homeworld - something which is clearly demonstrated in the opening teaser.

-Mayweather is the resident rock climber (see "Two Days and Two Nights") and takes the lead(!) with Trip and Reed in an away mission to rescue a batch of Denobulans. The tan field uniforms make another appearance. The spelunking equipment includes snake-lights mounted on their backpacks, which is a welcome innovation considering the limited usefulness of the palm beacons of TNG, and the awkward arm-mounted lights of VOY.

-Numerous ships are seen in this show as ships that are evacuating the world o' the week as a regime changes. At least one is new, I'm sure - it flies over the shuttlepod as it makes its way to the surface. A damaged transport is saved by Enterprise, and it docks along its ventral surface (like the Kriosian ship from a while back).

-The principal debate here is that an Antaran doesn't want to be treated by a Denobulan. There's a little bit of an ethical debate here, as Denobulans do not share in the Hippocratic Oath - they simply won't treat anyone who doesn't want to be treated. The Antarans and Denobulans haven't seen each other in 300 years, since their last war when the Denobulans did some rather nasty things.

-Phlox's grandma lived through the last war - an indication of the Denobulan lifespan. However, Phlox never told any of his five kids of his grandma's rascist attitude. Only one of his sons is so closed-minded.

-After Travis heroically saves Trip and Reed and busts his ankle in the process (guess he couldn't be front & center for long, eh?), they ultimately stumble upon the Denobulans, who predictably don't want to leave. Note the amount of equipment the scientists brought with them! If the Enterprise gang had to squeeze through so much with only backpacks, how long would it have taken the Denobulans to lug ALL THAT down there...

-Denobulans use tupperware?!

-Anyway, they don't want to leave because the world o' the week has some really nice rocks. It could be instrumental in preventing seimic disasters back home - no mention is made of any doomed planets, as was suggested in the spoilers.

-On the way back up, the shuttlepod is attacked by a patrol ship. And... That's it. They just sort of leave it at that, and move on to the next scene. This isn't a tech observation - I'm just confused as to why they left it hanging.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trip said "They just want to give us a little kick in the pants". They were probably pissed about the Enterprise staying so long and the patrol ship attacking was their way of saying "Scram! And don't come back!" [Wink]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't normally read these until I've seen the episode, but I had to see what the title was refering to this time. Tribbles!

I suppose someone should complain that McCoy couldn't just look up "tribble" in Starfleet's xenobiology database...?

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, Perhaps McCoy was more of the "hands on" type.... [Wink] besides, afterall he's just an old country doctor...

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Phlox knew what it was because he's been around. Hoshi didn't know what it was, and seeing as where they're outlawed they're probably not seen much by SF folks.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was an especially meaty one...

--------------------

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

Prolly should note too the Denobulans uncanny rockclimbing ability, remiscent of Spiderman...they never cease to amaze me... [Big Grin]

[ April 23, 2003, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: Futurama Guy ]

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Loved Trip getting pissed and threatening to shoot the head researcher in the ass! [Big Grin]
Good to see Mayweather getting involved.
Pretty ballsy of him not o scream in pain as Trin and Malcom were only being suspended by his busted ankle.
Sure hope he brought some painkillers in the medpack.
A good Phlox episode and Archer's conversation with the Antaran was nice: as was his reaction to the Denobulan warcrimes.
It seems that Denoublans of just a couple of generations back were pretty Nazi like in their experiments (if the antaran is correct).
Yet another episode without Porthos!
I wonder if they've phased him out of the show...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If the Enterprise gang had to squeeze through so much with only backpacks, how long would it have taken the Denobulans to lug ALL THAT down there...
There was probably another passageway into that cavern. The Denobulans were down in that cave network for six months, after all, and probably weren't in that one place the whole time. They may have taken an indirect route in.

I guess one tech question would be, whether that patrol fighter at the end just has some pissiant particle beam popguns that can't take out ENT's shuttlepod, or if they were just firing at low power to make a point. (I know Trip said they were giving them "a kick in the pants," but the question remains whether the weapons power was deliberately reduced or relatively weak anyway.)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:

I guess one tech question would be, whether that patrol fighter at the end just has some pissiant particle beam popguns that can't take out ENT's shuttlepod, or if they were just firing at low power to make a point. (I know Trip said they were giving them "a kick in the pants," but the question remains whether the weapons power was deliberately reduced or relatively weak anyway.)

I believe it was said it was something to the effect of being 'low yield' or set at low yield just as a lil...'you lucky we gave you a few hours bitch, be gone' kind of pant bootin'.

--------------------

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Patrol ship fires. Shuttle rocks a bit.

Reed: Minimal damage. They're using low-powered particle beams.

Archer: Do you need assistance?

Tucker: Stand by. I think they're just trying to give us a little kick in the pants.

Patrol ship turns away.

"Low-powered" suggests to me that the weapons are actually weak, not that they have been set to be weak. And you wouldn't put pathetic weapons on a ship if you had good ones.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"Low-powered" suggests to me that the weapons are actually weak, not that they have been set to be weak. And you wouldn't put pathetic weapons on a ship if you had good ones.
Not unless you're Archer, anyway. HOW long was it before he had those phase cannons installed? [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If by installed you mean "built largely from scratch with the exception of an untested prototype."
newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is possible the patrol ship pilot could alter the frequency of the weapons and was using a lower setting for sending a message.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Now that I've seen it, I'm wondering what Phlox was doing with his tribble. He had obviously sterlized it or put it out of commission in some way, since he only had a tribble. But, I mean, he just fed it to something else. Perhaps he had it around to study as a biological curiosity, and then disposed of it in a useful manner when he was done?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps