Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Enterprise-A Impulse Engineering

Author Topic: Enterprise-A Impulse Engineering
TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems that aside from the FJ designs TOS blueprints, there isn't a whole lot about what the Impulse Engineering section was changed to, after the refit. I re-read what Mr. Scott's Guide says about it, which is basically, that it's the butt-end of Deck F (6), is similar to the main engineering deck, and is dominated by the deflection crystal in the middle of the room. He also says that there are 5 fusion reactors between the impulse engines, and an elevator maintenance shop fore of the Engineering section.

It seems that the four hatches in the middle of the impulse engines are the fusion reactor hatches. Other then that, any gueses about how big the Impulse engines themselves are? or how big the engineering room is? That also gets into the question of the nexk mounts, jefferies tubes, and the turbo shaft. IF those two big hatches just forward of the impulse engines are some sort of cargo hatch, how big might that section be? For that matter, any guesses about what's on the port side, opposite the reck deck?

-

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheWoozle:
[QB] It seems that aside from the FJ designs TOS blueprints, there isn't a whole lot about what the Impulse Engineering section was changed to, after the refit. I re-read what Mr. Scott's Guide says about it, which is basically, that it's the butt-end of Deck F (6), is similar to the main engineering deck, and is dominated by the deflection crystal in the middle of the room. He also says that there are 5 fusion reactors between the impulse engines, and an elevator maintenance shop fore of the Engineering section.

I've always felt that it makes perfect sense for the main engineering computer fuctions to be run from the primary hull area, as you'd need some sort of duplicate type area in case of emergency separation. That being said, things won't be exactly the same, obviously, but it'll likely be close enough for you to use as a pattern here.

quote:
It seems that the four hatches in the middle of the impulse engines are the fusion reactor hatches.
Ever since I picked up my first copy of MSG, I've never thought they could be anything but hatches. And I realize that the pic below seems to show four, but I thought there were five...? Is the image just a result of bad lighting? Or am I just crazy - which is most likely the case - in my thinking?
quote:
Other then that, any gueses about how big the Impulse engines themselves are? or how big the engineering room is?
I'd think that the engines wouldn't really have to be all that big, comparatively. My recommendation for the impulse engines would be to take a look at the "ST:TNG - Technical Manual" and/or the big-ole-honkin' E-D boxed blueprint set and do something that is fairly comparative in size/scale. I might be wrong, but I seem to recall someone - and I hear Geordi's voice saying this - stating something along the lines of impulse engine technology not having changed much in 100 years. I'd think that primary hull engineering in that area would probably extend outward from the impulse drive housing that we see on the hull area, but I don't think that the impulse engines themselves take up all that area.
quote:
That also gets into the question of the nexk mounts, jefferies tubes, and the turbo shaft.
Never really given this much thought, so moving on....
quote:
IF those two big hatches just forward of the impulse engines are some sort of cargo hatch, how big might that section be?
My thinking here is that any storage area is going to extend aft, towards primary hull's engineering section. There are likely large cargo-type doors that lead in to engineering, as well, to facilitate movement of large pieces/parts (spare fusion reactor?) into engineering proper.
quote:
For that matter, any guesses about what's on the port side, opposite the reck deck?
I've always figured it was just more crew lounges, given the number and shapes of the windows. Maybe a large briefing/meeting room in case alien delegates are onboard for trying to close that big defense treaty?

Why they didn't just make it another Rec Room area over there is beyond me. I realize that there might not be a major reason for having two "Rec Decks", but I don't see why you couldn't have a second. After all, the Federation is always on about trying to improve the human condition, right...?

Eh. Just some random neuron's firing. There's life in this dying beast yet, I'm afraid....

thelastguardian
Member # 1017

- posted      Profile for thelastguardian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Griffworks:

quote:
It seems that the four hatches in the middle of the impulse engines are the fusion reactor hatches.
Ever since I picked up my first copy of MSG, I've never thought they could be anything but hatches. And I realize that the pic below seems to show four, but I thought there were five...? Is the image just a result of bad lighting? Or am I just crazy - which is most likely the case - in my thinking?

MSG says five because the Kimble blueprints show five. If there are supposed to be four (perhaps the number was changed when the model was repainted -- beats me), then make it four. [Smile]

Shane

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No disrespect to Mr. Kimble, but it looks like he fouled up on his drawings, as the Model Builders Reference Vault - TMP Enterprise's impulse deck image clearly shows four hatches along the "spine" of the impulse deck.

Ah, well. Do w/it as you will, I guess. Perhaps there was a modification which allowed for five fusion reactors at some point. Or the original plans called for it and StarFleet changed their minds. [Smile]

thelastguardian
Member # 1017

- posted      Profile for thelastguardian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, looks like four. Ah, well...best laid plans...

Shane

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My only question would be when was that Reference Vault photo taken: before or after ILM toned down the paint job? I tried looking at the DVD of TMP (yes, I made sure I was looking at original images), but I couldn't find a shot in the film that gave a clear view of the impulse housing.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Griffworks
Member # 1014

Well, according to the page I got it from (Modelers Reference Vault), it's the ST:TMP Enterprise.

From that page: "This photo survey was taken at a time after the first motion picture had been completed and the miniature was in storage. I had the opportunity to see the model when it had been unpacked and to take these photos. Unfortunately I had no flash for my camera so a tripod and work light had to take its place... "

Since those are the only photo's I can find online at present that claim to be of the ship prior to STII:TWOK, I have to take them at "face value". After all the effort put in to providing and identifying all the photo's on that site, I have a feeling they're The Real Deal.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Since those are the only photo's I can find online at present that claim to be of the ship prior to STII:TWOK, I have to take them at "face value". After all the effort put in to providing and identifying all the photo's on that site, I have a feeling they're The Real Deal.

ILM made a number of paint modifications to the model for TWOK, adding things like (what appear to be) pencil lines to the outboard side of the pylon fore the starboard nacelle, as seen when the ship pulls up to Regula 1.

I like those photos...I just wish all those hacthes were open so we could see what kind of detailing is under them.

Has anyone EVER seen a photo of the interior of the model's botanical deck?

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's just a back-lit photo, with a couple little detail bits fore and aft of the window, to add depth.

--------------------
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's just a back-lit photo, with a couple little detail bits fore and aft of the window, to add depth.

Cool. Where did you see that?

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

MrNeutron
Member # 524

quote:

I wrote to Andy Probert and off-hand asked about the Botanical Deck...

ME: A quick question for you, but I recently saw a discussion online about the TMP Enterprise miniature, and what precisely was in the botanical deck. Do you happen to recall how much was built inside?

ANDY: Yeah, a full interior was built for both, the botanical gardens and the hanger deck.

ME: I was wondering if anyone had photos of this, and maybe of the hangar deck.

ANDY: I've seen photos,....maybe in the Paul Newett construction guide book, which is buried somewhere around here.

Anyone have that book?

--------------------

TheWoozle
Member # 929

hmm... I stand corrected.

--------------------
The Woozle!

Griffworks
Member # 1014

quote:
Originally posted by MrNeutron:
I wrote to Andy Probert and off-hand asked about the Botanical Deck...

ME: A quick question for you, but I recently saw a discussion online about the TMP Enterprise miniature, and what precisely was in the botanical deck. Do you happen to recall how much was built inside?

ANDY: Yeah, a full interior was built for both, the botanical gardens and the hanger deck.

ME: I was wondering if anyone had photos of this, and maybe of the hangar deck.

ANDY: I've seen photos,....maybe in the Paul Newett construction guide book, which is buried somewhere around here.

Anyone have that book?

Ooooh! Ooooh! Mistah Khatah, I do! [Big Grin]

Page 45 of "Star Fleet Assembly Manual 4" (SFAM4) shows two "stills" of the cargo bay/shuttlebay scene that has the matte painting background, much like appears in "The Art Of Star Trek" pp 166 & 167 with the "dockport" style shuttlecraft (i.e. "Vulcan Shuttle") in the background - just in black & white in my copy of SFAM4 (a reproduction, I found out). I can't find any pics of the botanical section in either book, tho. I might not be looking hard enough in "Art", but looked at every last page in SFAM4. Maybe he's just referring to the shuttlebay?

Kewel that you got the response you did, tho!

MrNeutron
Member # 524

quote:
Ooooh! Ooooh! Mistah Khatah, I do! [Big Grin]

Page 45 of "Star Fleet Assembly Manual 4" (SFAM4) shows two "stills" of the cargo bay/shuttlebay scene that has the matte painting background, much like appears in "The Art Of Star Trek" pp 166 & 167 with the "dockport" style shuttlecraft (i.e. "Vulcan Shuttle") in the background - just in black & white in my copy of SFAM4 (a reproduction, I found out). I can't find any pics of the botanical section in either book, tho. I might not be looking hard enough in "Art", but looked at every last page in SFAM4. Maybe he's just referring to the shuttlebay?

Kewel that you got the response you did, tho!

Hmmm...well, it's possible he was thinking of another book. He did say there were phots of the interiors built in the model, not the shots seen in the film.

I think I need to just go over to his house and look through his stuff. [Big Grin]

Actually, Andy always answers any questions I have...but I can tell he gets tired of answering too many of Star Trek ones, so I ask sparingly. Usually we chat about our current projects, not past ones.

That said, I'm hoping to bend his ear on some Star Trek stuff one of these days...amass a bunch of questions and lay out some photos (hopefully in person) and ask "What's this? What was that intended to be?" etc.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps