Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Firing While Cloaked (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Firing While Cloaked
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to Trek lore, every other week.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, they purposefully fly over to look at those things, so that the entire crew can say "oooooooh, pretty!"

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried to figure this one out some time ago for a Tech Manual I did.

Reasons for not being able to fire:

A - Too much power demand (Chang had two warp cores in one hull - useful for an ambush vehicle - but not practical for chase due to bigger mass constraints).

B - Cloak interferes with targeting sensors - after all, if it bends incoming energy 'around' the vessel - ait might presumably reflect outgoing energy (heat signature etc.) back in towards the vessel. The BoP could 'see' via gravitic sensors, but at poor resolution.

C - Cloak interferes with weapons fire. As above, but with disrupter energy reflected back to Bop (or just absorbed by cloak - which after all is an adjunct of the shields). I don't see how this would affect torpedoes. Actually, in Generations, didn't the Duras sisters fire out from a cloaked BoP?

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
C. No.

D. But in Nemesis, Shinzon apparently learned how to overcome the "can't fire while cloaked."

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
B - Chang sure didn't have any problems plastering the Enterprise through its cloak, and it hit the Excelsior on its first shot, as well.

C - All the Duras sisters did was fire through the Enterprises shields and then the Enterprise triggered their cloak which coincidently dropped its shields....

D - I though Shinzons cloak was so perfect that it could be dropped just quick enough to fire and recloak without allowing the Enterprise to lock onto its position.

--------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
"A phasing cloak could have been enough reason to write an interesting story or two."

What, like "The Next Phase"?

As if the Defiant had it and to give it a good reason to utilize it in an episode versus say, visiting a planet that incorporated talking or visiting people in a different time frame...

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it was pretty clear that the Scimitar could partially decloak. So I think decloacking an ever so small part to be able to fire would be a reasonably logical explaination.

--------------------
"And they had other stuff (...) like pictures of the Vulcan woman on Enterprise."
"OOOOhhh! Uhm, I mean: Nerds!"

- Willow and Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NightWing:
Well, it was pretty clear that the Scimitar could partially decloak. So I think decloacking an ever so small part to be able to fire would be a reasonably logical explaination.

Possibly only the weapon's port decloaked on the Scimitar while firing.
It is, after all, the only time we've seen a ship with several cloaking generators for various parts (that can be switched on or off too!)of the ship instead of one central unit.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's also entirely possible that both Valdore-type Warbirds have the same cloaking tech as the Scimitar and just didint use it whilr fighting so close to the Enterprise.
Only one collision allowed per movie. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps