Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Transport pods

Author Topic: Transport pods
Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I came across this pic in one of the startrek books. I think it is an interesting pod, if they do custom-make airlocks on starships just for these. Anyone know if the pentagonal airlocks do exist on the Enterprise model? I can�t remember them. In the movie, another type of transport was used with a circular opening. Did they change the airlock, or are there several types of airlocks?

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This door is not on the final ST:TMP model, but apparently on the Phase II model built for the unrealized second television show. The model introduced many of the TMP details, but they were refined for the movie model, and this pentagon doorway type never made it to the silver screen.

Todd Guenther's "Ships of the Star Fleet" shows a design or two that otherwise match the various stages of Phase II modeling, but substitute TMP-style airlock/docking ports for these pentagons. The polygon pods AFAIK never see any use in any Trek movie or episode, nor are they reproduced in fanfic material.

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That second picture of the dodecahedrons... do you think that is where they got the idea for the Suliban 'station'.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nah. They probably just used a random geometric shape in Lightwave [Smile]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps