Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Difference between D6 and D7 Battlecruisers

Author Topic: Difference between D6 and D7 Battlecruisers
Sargon
Member # 1090

- posted      Profile for Sargon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Long time lurker, first time poster...

I read quite along time ago that the TOS cast had a distinction in their minds betwen the D6 and D7 Klingon Battlecruisers, despite the fact their was only one studio model. There was a "way" to tell one from the other, something to do with the number of windows or something. Does anyone know what it was?

--------------------
Never fear... Sargon is here.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think there's something about this in "The Making of Star Trek". Unfortunately, I don't have my copy at home.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have any first-hand knowledge of this, but I believe that it came from a joke on the set. Basically during the filming of a scene, Shatner and Nimoy started arguing about whether the Klingon cruiser on screen was actually a D6 or a D7. That's all...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is the relevent passage (a quote from Gene Roddenberry) from The Making of Star Trek:

quote:
YES, I THINK WE HAVE AN EXCEPTIONAL CREW. IT�S LIKE A FAMILY. WE HAVE OUR FIGHTS, BUT THERE IS A GREAT AFFECTION FOR EACH OTHER. IT�S LIKE BEING MARRIED TO THIRTY OTHER PEOPLE. YOU BEGIN TO SENSE THEIR MOODS, AND WHEN THEY ARE TIRED, YOU CARE. I WENT ON THE STAGE ONE DAY, AND THEY WERE ALL READY AND WAITING FOR ME, BECAUSE THEY KNEW I WASREALLY EXHAUSTED FROM SOME LONG REWRITE SESSIONS. AS SOON AS I WALKED UP TO THE SET, BILL AND LEONARD BLEW A SCENE, BUT THEY BLEW IT ON PURPOSE AND BEGAN ARGUING VERY VIOLENTLY. BILL WAS SHOUTING AT THE TOP OF HIS VOICE, �LEONARD! WHAT DO YOU MEAN SAYING THIS IS A D-7 KLINGON SHIP? ITS A D-6!� LEONARD SHOUTED BACK, �NO, YOU IDIOT, THE D-6 HAS FOUR DOORS OVER HERE AND THE D-7 ONLY HAS TWO!� BILL IMMEDIATELY SHOUTED BACK, �NO, NO, NO�IT�S THE OTHER WAY AROUND. YOU'VE GOT IT ALL WRONG.�
WHILE ALL OF THIS IS GOING ON, I�M STANDING THERE, BEGINNING TO GET FRUSTRATED, WATCHING THE MINUTES TICK BY AND MENTALLY COUNTING THE MONEY WE'RE LOSING IN EXPENSIVE CREW TIME, BECAUSE THE CAMERAS AREN�T ROLLING. AND AS THE ARGUMENT CONTINUED, I�M THINKING TO MYSELF, �WHAT ARE THEY TALKING ABOUT? THEY'VE GONE TOO FAR!� THEN I BEGAN THINKING THAT I SHOULD REMEMBER WHICH IS THE D-6 OR THE D-7. FINALLY I COULDNT STAND IT ANY MORE, AND SO I WALKED IN BETWEEN THEM AND SAID, �COME ON, FELLOWS, IT REALLY DOESN�T MATTER. LETS GET ON WITH THE SCENE.�
THEN THE WHOLE CREW BROKE UP LAUGHING. THIS WAS THEIR WAY OF SAYING TO ME, �HEY, TIME IS NOT THAT SERIOUS. RELAX A LITTLE.� THEY REALLY ARE THE FINEST GROUP OF PEOPLE IN THE WORLD.

I guess that the fandom community (and the Okudas) sided with Nimoy. [Wink]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The D-8 was the ill-recieved hatchback version.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but which one is the SUV model? [Razz]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Sargon
Member # 1090

- posted      Profile for Sargon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Mighty Monkey of Mim: That was brilliant; exactly the reference I was looking for. Many thanks. I first read The Making of Star Trek back in the Third Grade, and its still one of my favorites. Need to order a new copy right away. Again, Thanks.

--------------------
Never fear... Sargon is here.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sargon:
Long time lurker, first time poster

oooh.. an LTL,FTP...

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps