Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Star Trek Communicator - Issue 145 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Star Trek Communicator - Issue 145
Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just picked this issue up today and was actually a bit disappointed to see that the author of the article apparently got the Adamant design confused w/the Thruxton. Still, one of the ships from David Schmidt's "StarFleet Prototype" book sorta makes it into "semi-canon" print, at least. [Big Grin]

As to the ship in that link above: Not only did he not fix the problem w/the aft photorp tubes, but he added the lower warp nacelles pylon attachment point at the BOTTOM of the nacelles! WTF?!? Not a terribly well thought-out "ripoff", IMO. You'd think the guy could at least acknowledge his inpsiration for the design. It's pretty damned obvious to anyone who's got to the books and/or is in to starship design, after all.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I think torpedos from the aft launchers would barely clear the sides of the central nacelle.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Based on http://www.region5.org/projects/argyllfor.htm I think they guy was asked to make the 3D renderings by someone else and hasn't actually got a clue about where the ship came from. A little bit of research wouldn't have killed him though.

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Speaking of the Communicator, awhile back they had a picture of that map hanging in Mayweather's room on the Horizon. I wonder if anyone has a scan of that.

Yes, I finally got around to it. Trouble is, in order to get it large enough to read the fine print, it came out to a 532kb jpeg, even with 50% compression. I don't want to host it from my site, and I don't have access to Flare Upload. If someone wants to grab it and upload it for me, you can get it here:
bj.o.home.mindspring.com/BJ_art/horizon-map.jpg

B.J.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome! Thanks. I'll put it up here, assuming someone doesn't beat me to it.

Some (very minor) thoughts:

1.) I wonder why "Restricted Space" is restricted, and by whom.

2.) I wonder what those NGC numbers correspond to, if they are real, and if they are reflective of some real relatively near to Earth area of space.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Done!

Horizon map

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol~

Regarding point 2, I'm thinkin' no.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only two names that make sense on that map are Trelkis III, from "Horizon" (apparently further out than the 150 ly NX-01 has traveled). The other one is Alpha III, from "Court Martial" (TOS).

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NGC 1701

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, as would be obvious if, say, certain people named Simon paused to think and research for just a moment before posting, this map is riddled with all sorts of oddities. Like, the NGC catalog only goes up to 7840, and being a historical document it is unlikely people will take up adding more. Or, that it is primarily a collection of things which didn't look like stars in the late 19th century, meaning it's mostly galaxies and nebulae. And I don't think "AlphaIII" is necessarily the Alpha III of Original Series usage, seeing as how the map is scattered with AlphaXXXX objects. So, boo to me, and goodbye to any future career that doesn't involve tedious repetition, too.

But! My absolute favorite thing on anything Star Trek related ever: "Access to higher level databases should be arranged by public key messages to the publisher of this chart." When will there be an episode devoted to the sexy cryptographic systems in use in the 22nd century?

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"To my knowledge, the Thruxton class tactical cruiser design first appeared in "StarFleet Prototype", back in '92, and I'm pretty sure the CCG you're talking about wasn't around back then. Apparently, the CCG folks have used his design for the game.

Personally, I'm interested to know if they got David's permission to use it...."

No, they didn't. Not to worry, I'm flattered someone remembers. Although I'm a bit puzzled by all the dorsal windows on the saucer section...

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like they used the Ambassador window arrangement, but the "artist" was so woefully uninformed about Trek ships that they were juxtaposed with design features incompatible with that layout (the saucer bearing those windows is how much bigger than the one on the Adamant...?).

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps