Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Sensor or Deflector? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Sensor or Deflector?
Sargon
Member # 1090

- posted      Profile for Sargon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am interested to see what the general consensus is in this forum for the devices seen on the front of the secondary hull of the original Enterprise. We have a "dish" and behind that are several concentric copper "rings". Various diarams of the ship point to this area and identify it as either the Main Sensor or the Navigational Deflector. Is the dish the Sensor, and the rings the Deflector? Are they both the same device that does both?

--------------------
Never fear... Sargon is here.

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I recall, the "dish" is the navigational deflector while the concentric rings behind it are the main sensor array. The Refit Enterprise has something similar in that the glowing dish has two series of rings that surround it. These are the navigational deflector and the main sensor array, respectively. I believe that this is mentioned in "The Making of Star Trek", but might be wrong, there. I'm a little brainfuzzed at the moment due to trying to adjust to moving shifts several times over the last two weeks and haven't been getting more than about 5 hours of sleep a day on average....

Anyhow, at the very least, this is the general concensus of most TOS Treknical fans I know who've done some research on the subject.

HTH,

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about the NX-01? They don't have deflector-technology AFAIR, do they? So the dish should be a sensor array.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Sargon
Member # 1090

- posted      Profile for Sargon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I thought it was the otherway around as well: The dish is the sensor, and the rings are the deflector. I guess that impression is re-enforced by diagrams such as the FJ Tech Manual pointing to the dishes on the Scout, Destroyer and T-Tug and identifying it as the Main Sensor.

--------------------

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'll admit I might be wrong, as I'm suffering from lack of sleep for the last several days. However, I'm pretty certain that the FJ plans - much as I love 'em! - got it wrong. Wouldn't be the first time I mis-remembered something.

Sleep deprivation is a terrible thing....

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jefferies (RIP) labels the dish as Sensors. And of course, it looks like a sensor of some kind. But this was all done before anyone had a clue about Star Trek's starships.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Sargon
Member # 1090

quote:
before anyone had a clue about Star Trek's starships
I trust you are saying that with your tongue firmly in cheek.

--------------------

Griffworks
Member # 1014

OK Just found my notes and re-read them. I was wrong in my statement above, as I had it all backwards... [Embarrassed]

My bad. I've been something like 60 hours with only 9 hours of sleep, so ain't exactly thinking clearly. I've even seen things out of the cornor of my eye, so guess I'm starting to experience some hallucinations.... [Eek!]

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I know in the TNGTM the long range sensors are mounted behind the navigational deflector, probably so that the hardware of the sensors aren't in the way of the deflector's projected field and its affects (and this would seem to be true for all Starfleet ships of TNG era and after).

Could the same thing apply to earlier ship designs? It would seem like something that wouldn't change much with advancements in technology.

Plus, the long range sensor is not a single sensor, but a collection of a variety detectors. I'm not quite sure they can be fully represented, hardware wise, by a single dish.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Griffworks
Member # 1014

OK Now I'm waffling on this.

Before heading in to work, I found some other notes I'd made. Neither set of notes has a date on it, but this second set of notes agree w/what David Templar states above. I also sort of remember this being mentioned in a semi-official publication think it might be in the TNG:TM. I thumbed thru "Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise" before heading in to work, but didn't find anything specific there - and wasn't thinking clearly enough to throw it in to my backpack while I was getting ready. I plan to re-read the introduction section, as I think it might contain the basic theory, as well as in the TNG:TM.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it helps any, the two systems were originally separate. The main sensor was the dish, while the navigational deflectors were the rings and (especially) the three little boxlike things flanking the dish. Notice the Reliant, while lacking a sensor dish, still has the uprated version of those greeblies from the refit Enterprise incorporated into her design. Even the Excelsior has likely-looking candidates in those little greebled recesses on the dorsal. I think the systems didn't get merged until the Ambassador class.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
What about the NX-01? They don't have deflector-technology AFAIR, do they? So the dish should be a sensor array.

Re-watch the premiere, "Broken Bow". Reed specifically mentions the deflector when Hoshi asks "What's that noise?" when they first started out.

B.J.

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
The main sensor was the dish, while the navigational deflectors were the rings and (especially) the three little boxlike things flanking the dish

Actually, I think that's backwards, at least by what's on the original TMP blueprints from 1980. The prints label the dish as the navigational deflector, while those three units around the housing are marked as "Space-Energy Field Attraction Sensors."

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The dish being the main navigational Sensor would make sense and the Reliant not having one would work with it not having the sensors of the more powerful Enterprise.

I think that the original plan was for the dish to be the deflector, but from day one, it LOOKED like a radar dish, so it was impossible to fight.

That's like the Torpedo Launcher in the nose of the Klingon cruiser. In TOS, it wss the deflector/sensor and by ST:TMP it was commonly accepted that it looked like a weapon, so it was used as the torpedo launcher.

Look at what they used that 'dish' for in ST:TNG. The TNG tech manual even specifically says that the navigational sensor is mounted directly behind the deflector.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we go by looks rather than by text references, the typically blue "deflector glow" seems to come from the dish in the refit Constitution, from behind the dish in NX-01, and I've heard a rumor that the TOS model was suppose to have a light source for the concentric rings (and for the warp nacelle inner flanks, basically TMP style) even if this was never used/shown.

Treknology-wise, it sounds like a phenomenally bad idea to put *anything* in front of a deflector beam emitter. Putting something in front of your sensor apertures is also silly, of course - but at least it won't get that something blown to smithereens by superpowerful forcefields!

Then again, we know that shields can be projected some distance away from the emitter. Perhaps the deflector beam emitter also generates the beam well ahead of the dish area, allowing other equipment to be placed between the emitter and its beam.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps