Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Shelby's Throw Away Line

Author Topic: Shelby's Throw Away Line
J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anyone else notice it when Shelby said "Plasma Phasers..." there was something else, but I watched the episode a while ago and I can't get to it at the moment... I'm afraid of saying "Cannon" like what I think it is, and be wrong... anyway... I know she said "Plasma Phasers."

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No she didn't.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Hunter
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Hunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only reference to Plasma Phasers is from Janeway in Flashback, when she's listing technology that didn't exist in the 23rd centuary.
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm almost tempted to read deeper in the term "Plasma Phaser", but Janeway uttered it.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plasma phasers? I don't ever remember hearing them mention something like that in "Voyager"...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, now that you mentioned it, I think it was something along the lines of "plasma weapons", not "plasma phasers".

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^Agreed:

quote:
JANEWAY: It was a very different time, Mr. Kim. Captain Sulu, Captain Kirk, Dr. McCoy. They all belonged to a different breed of Starfleet officer. Imagine the era they lived in. The Alpha Quadrant still largely unexplored. Humanity on verge of war with Klingons. Romulans hiding behind every nebula. Even the technology we take for granted was still in its early stages. No plasma weapons, no multiphasic shields. Their ships were half as fast.
KIM: No replicators, no holodecks. You know, ever since I took Starfleet history at the academy, I always wondered what it would be like to live in those days.
JANEWAY: Space must have seemed a whole lot bigger back then. It's not surprising they had to bend the rules a little. They were a little slower to invoke the Prime Directive, and a little quicker to pull their phasers. Of course, the whole bunch of them would be booted out of Starfleet today. But I have to admit, I would have loved to ride shotgun at least once with a group of officers like that.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO plasma weapons? Then the Romulan weapon in Balance of Terror really was just a special effect?!?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Duh! Even I can graps that Janeway was talking solely about the UFP! [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

Get this man some more coffee or whatever else he uses to stimulate his brain! HEHE! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nevertheless, this makes the use of plasma weapons in ENT sound like a continuity error.

OTOH, I cannot really agree with Janeway that plasma weapons would be a post-Kirk development worthy of a mention. For one thing, nobody from Janeway-era Starfleet ever uses plasma weapons for any application - the only mention in that era is of Romulan or Cardassian/Dominion plasma torpedoes, which furthermore *aren't* specified as "modern" weapons.

So I'd much rather go with ENT and say that "plasma weapons" represent a bygone technology by the time of Kirk. Perhaps this is even what Janeway meant, in a really convoluted way?

Heatwave-induced rambling rationalization #74656: Kirk does not yet have multiphasic shields to protect him, yet his foes already possess post- plasma cannon weapons and can thus inflict serious damage on him. It's like saying "Custer didn't have kevlar vests or bows and arrows": the former would have protected him from the injun firesticks, while the use of latter by the said injuns would have nicely helped Custer, too.

Timo Saloniemi

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This looks like a continuity error, since I wouldn't expect Janeway talking about Romulan plasma weapons, when everything else is from the Federation's POV ["Flashback"]. But the error lies with Voyager alone. Starfleet was never supposed to use plasma weapons in the 24th century. And even if there were any special weapon based on plasma discharge, we have never seen it and there would be no reason for Janeway to refer to it.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would'nt it just be easier to consider Enterprise as correct and Voyager as a continunity error? [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or both. Anyway, Janeway was way over in the Delta Quadrant, so no-one heard it anyway [Smile]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps