Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » SWDAO: The Niagara space dragster: authentic? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: SWDAO: The Niagara space dragster: authentic?
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Niagara class USS Princeton NCC-59804 is one of the 39 ships destroyed at Wolf 359. The fact that it is listed in official publications points to the existence of a studio model for this class, however, on-screen evidence is still missing. The Star Trek Fact Files depict an Ambassador style ship with 3(!) Galaxy class nacelles as the official design for the Niagara class. While most people interested in starships agree this is one of the ugliest designs, there are two opinions concerning the credibility of the Fact Files schematics:

1) The Fact Files are not exactly a canon publication, and as long as hard canon (on-screen) evidence is missing, no one has to believe what is printed.

2) Most of the schematics in the fact Files are reliable, and recently the one-nacelled Freedom class turned out to look exactly as depicted.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I think the Fact Files got CLOSE to the real design, but they added too much flair. I really think someone should retool the design, make it look more realistic. But I accept the general design of the Niagara, though not exactly the same one seen in the Fact Files

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SWAO: Exactly my opinion. Maybe a final sentence should be added:

At least the basic design could be correct, assuming the draftsman had some information on the studio model.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do we know the Freedom looked like the FF version?

------------------
"Bite the wax tadpole."
-translation of Coca-Cola's original Chinese name

Deep6
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody got a scanned image of the Niagara class?

------------------
"Well yeah ok thats just about the most awful thing I've ever seen"

IP: Logged
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

TSN: We have compared the Freedom top view and the screen cap from BoBW some time ago (can't find the thread right now, or was it at SFCR?). The nacelle was not visible in the screencap, but they got the saucer amazingly correct.

http://www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/schematics/niagara-official.jpg

Deep6: Steve has the complete set of scans:

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Rampart/4173/intro.html

Deep6
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Bernd

------------------
"Well yeah ok thats just about the most awful thing I've ever seen"

IP: Logged
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernd: They may have just seen the saucer and applied it to the well-known Freedom basic design. It doesn't even look like a saucer to me anyway.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!" - TMBG

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, there's the obvious problem with the above design...where would they have gotten a spare Ambassador hull? Only the Ent-C model existed at the time, and that has remained intact.

------------------

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

Could it be that the spare Ambassador engineering hull is actually a Constitution hull, and the Niagara class is what we thought was the Rigel class, or the Fact Files confused them?

I think there must be something basically looking like the thing depicted in the FF. The FF aren't made in a way "Let's take some hull components and three nacelles and call it Niagara."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank: Well, they always could have made a new one. It's not like it had to be all that detailed...

------------------
"I ran into Charlie Fogg.
He blacked my eye, and he kicked my dog.
My dog turned to me, and he said,
'Let's head back to Tennessee, Jed.'"
-The Grateful Dead, "Tennessee Jed"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Why would they make a new one, though? There's no reason to. All the other models were quickly cobbled together from kits.

------------------

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These ships are fan fiction, if the majoriy of the people here accept it, I will accept it!
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Uhh... They certainly are not fan fiction. These ships were real models (albeit kitbashed, busted up, background study models) that were used onscreen. Technically, that makes them canon (as long as we can determine for certain what the actual models looked like).

------------------
"I ran into Charlie Fogg.
He blacked my eye, and he kicked my dog.
My dog turned to me, and he said,
'Let's head back to Tennessee, Jed.'"
-The Grateful Dead, "Tennessee Jed"

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So that's three designs now? The third from The Price of Freedom, which I saw the otehr day, looks very bad, like all the other ship designs they made up for it.

------------------
What bloke invented signatures?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps