Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » random question, "The Romulan Way"

Author Topic: random question, "The Romulan Way"
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey does anyone have a copy of Diane Duane's "The Romulan Way" laying around?

In the book there is a passage about Arrhae/Terise's Starfleet Intelligence cloaked ship being pursued by a Federation starship - the Nelson - and there is an NCC registry listed. can anyone find what it is, and any other information about the ship?

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Out of memory, NCC-1843, type not given, tasked with border patrol. The Valiant, NCC-2252, is specified as a light cruiser. [Smile]

I have trouble accepting 1843 as USS Nelson, even if I don't support the idea that she'd be USS Levant, later USS Enterprise-A. The Valiant I'm happy with, though, since fanfic AFAIK hasn't used 2252 for any other prominent class.

These ships appear to be operating post-TMP, so one could postulate construction or refitting to TMP-like standard.

Timo Saloniemi

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dang, Timo, that's a pretty good memory! [Wink] You're right, Nelson was given the number NCC-1843, and referred to as a "close-cordon border patrol cruiser."

I didn't have time to look for references to the Valiant...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
many thanks gentleman.. i had even forgotten about that Valiant.. your service has been noted.

actually, considering the confusion of which ship was to become the 1701-A, maybe its better if Levant doesn't exist as described. That's actually exactly why i asked.. coincidentally the duties of a border cutter like Nelson matches up with the size/fitting of FASA's Nelson-class.. i wonder if that should be the class ship..

wow.. also coincidentally, that makes the ninth U.S.S. Valiant i've researched this week too..

for my shiplist, i usually try to give novels precedence over manuals, since the novel represents a more fleshed out version of the Trek universe.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto. However, Diane Duane is a problematic source, at least when she gets down to fine details. Unlike Carey, she doesn't lift stuff directly from FASA, but like her, she ignores the Okudaic/Sternbachian literature... The timeline of the Rihannsu saga is a crooked path, and Duane and Sternbach are greatly at odds with stuff like the TMP refit or the introduction of the Constellation class.

Since the Levant supposedly became a ship of different name and registry, 1843 should be perfectly free for use in other ship classes even in the SotSF universe (although I prefer the version where the E-A was the existing Yorktown, and the Levant/Ti-Ho/whatever was simply left unbuilt, or completed as one of the later Enterprise (II) ships).

It would be slightly odd for Starfleet to have a one-ship class squeezed between 1842 and 1844, though. Heck, in my sorry little fantasy universe, the Nelson could be a final "Miranda (II)", built like the Lantree and supposed pals, since I've used the free registries between 1833 and 1842 for such a class already. Never mind that the other Miranda (II)s were TOS-era conversions, or that they weren't "close-cordon patrol cruisers"...

Too bad that this particular ship is being described by Arrhae/Terise herself. The Valiant specs could be taken as an error or a misunderstanding, seeing how it's a non-Starfleeter describing that ship. Or perhaps Arrhae just thinks of this "Miranda (II) heavy frigate" in Romulan terms by then? [Wink]

Timo Saloniemi

capped
Member # 709

i myself have no problem with a single ship being squeezed in with another class, since that's happened numerous times in the registries.. after all ships like NCC-956, NCC-1017, NCC-1664, etc must look odd considering theyre probably surrounded by smaller different ships in the register..

on the Duane timeline problems, i usually just glean the details from her novels, like ship names and character names.. if i even get so adventurous as to reference a situation from one of the less chronologically 'stable' books, i just say 'the late 23rd cetury' or some such.. my research is into encyclopedia entries, i'm not attempting a timeline or reconciling canonicity between sources

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps