Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Enterprise E Battle Bridge? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Enterprise E Battle Bridge?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scotty leading a raid on anything except Baskin Robbins is a bit farfetched. [Wink]

I'd place the Aux bridge down a short corridore from main engineering.
After all, ship's engineer is the only command officer that's likely to survive the bridge getting blown off.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
STAR TREK: UNLIMITED It was in the fifth year of the five-year mission, the 'home-stretch' as it were. Chekov was promoted to Lt. JG and was helping out in security, Scotty had already grown his TMP moustache.

Scotty wasn't leading, he was engineering support. The issue also featured some commando fatigues, same design as the TOS uniforms except they were a dark grey/black shiny material. The secondary hull control room was like an abbreviated bridge, had a viewscreen, helm and command chair identical to deck 1, but the sides of the bridge werent round, they were flat wall panels (to correspond with the skinny shape of the dorsal?)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To make it easier to draw. [Wink]

Anybody read that "The Lost Era" book focusing on Enterprise B and the Tomed Incident?
I just picked it up and wanted some advance reviews while I finish some models.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Middy Seafort
Member # 951

- posted      Profile for Middy Seafort     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
To make it easier to draw. [Wink]

Anybody read that "The Lost Era" book focusing on Enterprise B and the Tomed Incident?
I just picked it up and wanted some advance reviews while I finish some models.

I'm almost done with the book. It's an interesting yarn, though I can't say I'm totally amored with David R. George III's narrative style (by which I mean to say his sentence structures and word choices).

He establishes some of the character dynamics and backstories well. However, his Romulan nemesis (pun intended) for Harriman comes off a bit too much like your typical modern Trek Rommie and a little cliched as an antagonist.

I especially like that DRG III has bulit upon the character backstory for Harriman as seen in PAD's "The Captain's Daughter." I've always felt that he was shortchanged in Generations and like that he is quite a different commander than either James T. Kirk and Jean-Luc Picard.

Overall, a good book that has so far captaviated my attention. I'd like to see DRG III write another E-B adventure, either before SATR or after.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the baton should be passed to George Zebrowski now, to follow the "Harriman chain" (Peter David/David George/George Zebrowski). Never mind that the latter can't write his way out of a wet Trek Happy Meal bag. Or could George Takei author a book, perhaps?

IMHO, David George's writing in SAtR is incredibly clever, while not as excessively clever as Peter David's worst. It fits the spirit of the book, with its major plot twist and multiple characterization twists. We even have the obligatory red herring literally *be* a herring. Well, almost.

The book is certainly worth a read, and actually has nice similarities to the classic "Final Reflection". A major Federation-shaking incident that happened off camera is described here, in a way that defeats all expectations. The protagonists are people we care about, yet almost completely unrelated to the on-screen heroes, or even antagonists from the on-screen viewpoint. The writing style takes liberties from TV writing rules, and there are wide political implications and ruthless machinations going on that go way above the heads of the protagonists. And right till the final pages, we remain unsure whether we are betting on the right horse after all...

Also, both writers rely on fan material and preceding novels for their background info. The major difference between "Reflection" and "Serpents" is that John M. Ford was an economical user of words, while David George III clearly aspires not to be. [Smile]

And FWIW, the E-B auxiliary bridge does *not* make an appearance in the story. But the idea of auxiliary control of starships is explored, in a sense.

Timo Saloniemi

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Thanks guys: I just started the book yesterday and should be finished today (novels with established subjects- like Trek- go fast for me).

You guys ever read greg Bear's The Forge of God ?
I just finished it for the second time.
Not a Trek novel or anything but if you dig mind reeling epic stories, you'll like this one. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually read "Anvil of Stars" first, before finding out that "Forge" existed. Surprising how both of them work as standalone novels, too.

Those two are probably Bear's strongest, although he is pretty good overall in the "epic genre". [Smile]

Timo Saloniemi

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Anvil of Stars is my alltime favorite novel.
I really took about a week after reading it to just absorb some of the far-reaching cocepts (both theoretical and moral).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps