Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » What is a Flux Chiller? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What is a Flux Chiller?
Sargon
Member # 1090

- posted      Profile for Sargon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Flux Chiller is a component of warp engines. What does it do?

--------------------
Never fear... Sargon is here.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It chills my flux. I always prefer to have my flux chilled if possible. Unchilled flux just doesn't have the same draw for me as a nice, crispy, chilled flux.

Mmmm... I remember when my mom used to serve icy cold chilled flux for desert on Sundays. We'd just sit on the porch, watching the neighbor get drunk and run naked in his yard, and sip on our chilled flux. Those were the days.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prehaps its a heat-sink of some kind? Like an intercooler?

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What is a Flux Chiller?
An hommage to BTTF IIRC.
djewell
Member # 1111

- posted      Profile for djewell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:
What is a Flux Chiller?
An hommage to BTTF IIRC.
Wasn't that a Flux Capacitor?

--------------------
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

-Einstein

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They didn't use the same name but it was intended to be an hommage AFAIR.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it could've been from Back to the Future, because if you listen to the background dialog in one of ST:TMP's engineering scenes (right before they leave dock IIRC) a crewmember is performing a checklist with the computer about the "Main Flux Chiller's port and starboard", far before Back to the Future.

--------------------
Bender: Well I don't have anything else planned for today, let's get drunk!

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spike, Back to the Future came out in 1985. Star Trek: The Motion Picture came out in 1979. The Enterprise's "main-stage flux chillers" have nothing to do with the DeLorean's "flux capacitor".

The Enterprise's engines contained some nifty tech from the descriptions in the first two movies. We know there are "power-stage", "main-stage", and "final-stage" elements that deal with some kind of flux. The "power-stage" bits are "flux constrictors". That may be an early version of the step-down into the ship's EPS that we have in more detail in TNG. The other two are "flux chillers", and may have something to do with keeping the subspace field flux from melting down the coils.

I don't know if any of the official or fandom stuff ever got around to defining these terms. Maybe the GEC... The other major components referred to seem a bit more straightforward. The "space-energy/matter sinks" are what we know later as the Bussard collectors. And the "space matrix restoration coils" have something to do with dissipating the subspace field to drop the ship back into normal space. Dr. Crusher sure could have used one of those in "Remember Me"...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, no, because I imagine having a universe collapse on you wouldn't be good for your health.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

djewell
Member # 1111

- posted      Profile for djewell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It did wonders for my skin. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

-Einstein

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Errr, yeah...

"Cause and Effect" made mention of a flux spectrometer which was supposedly some sort of sensor device...

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got one in my car (next to the overthruster) but it was there when I bought it.
I think it's part of my air conditioner.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Makes the warp engines chill so they won't get all f1uXX0r3d?

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most likely, it's a temperature relation system related to the flux of a warp engine component. If flux is (as my science dictionary says) "the number of particles flowing per unit area in a cross section of a beam of particles", then a flux chiller would be something to reglate the beam -- maybe the way electricity superconducts the closer you get to absolute zero.

That's one possible explanation.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By semantics alone, a "flux chiller" could be a device chilling X by using a flux. As opposed to a device chilling X by using something else. And would tell us nothing about the nature of X. Except that it needs some chilling.

(Never mind that any chilling is bound to involve a heat flux - let's say a flux chiller uses a particulate flux to create a heat flux, while a radiator chiller involves no other flux besides heat flux.)

As for "flux capacitor", there's a TNG episode where LaForge makes a slip of the tongue, using the name "flux capacitor" for something he originally called a "flux regulator" . This was probably scripted in deliberately, as a "BTTF" homage. What was the episode, though? "Nth Degree"? "Hollow Pursuits"? I think it was a Barclay piece.

And as for "space/matter sink", that piece of technobabble probably wasn't originally intended to indicate anything like a ramscoop. The FJ material also features a "space/matter SOURCE" at the other end of the nacelle, as if the nacelles were gigantic bipolar magnets or other bipolar field devices.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps