Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » K'tinga D-4?

Author Topic: K'tinga D-4?
Sargon
Member # 1090

- posted      Profile for Sargon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was looking at the blueprints for the Motion Picture, and they have the K'tinga class designated Drell-4 or D-4. Can we assume that these vessels are uprated versions of an older class of ship than those we saw in TOS, the D-7s? The dimensions are smaller, and there are proportional differences as well, but that could be part of the upgrade.

--------------------
Never fear... Sargon is here.

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could you scan some nice, big pics of the ships?

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Sargon
Member # 1090

- posted      Profile for Sargon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but I can't upload until my 250th post. Bummer. Sadness.

--------------------
Never fear... Sargon is here.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
however, you can email them to someone who can, or upload them to a personal site and link the link....
Triton
Member # 1043

- posted      Profile for Triton         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the novelization by Gene Roddenberry, er Alan Dean Foster, the K'tinga is supposed to be a new Klingon heavy cruiser class and one of the reasons why the Enterpriseis being uprated because of the new threat this class poses to the Federation.

I never understood what Drell-4 meant on the blueprints by David Kimbel. Does it really mean that the K'tingais D-4 Klingon heavy cruiser? If so, it would mean that the D designations are not chronological because the novelization is clear that these were the newest and most powerful Klingon ships. The Klingons sent their best to intercept V'ger, and its shocking and worrisome to Kirk that V'ger could annihilate these starships so quickly.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Incidently, I was always under the impression, from the film, that the Klingon ships had encountered V'ger while on patrol, not that they had been sent out specifically to intercept it. But it seems either interpretation works.
djewell
Member # 1111

- posted      Profile for djewell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^ Me too. Maybe the Klingons go in reverse order (D-10, 1-9...) They are aliens after all.

--------------------
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

-Einstein

Triton
Member # 1043

- posted      Profile for Triton         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also seem to remember reading that the Klingon's deployed the K'tinga-class in groups of three or more starships that were called "wolfpacks". I guess this was the Federation designation for them, much like the German U-boats hunted in "wolfpacks" during the Battle of the Atlantic during WW II. That information must come from the David Kimbel blueprints. Unfortunately, I haven't seen the blueprints for years.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps