Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » SWDAO: Challenger, Springfield, Whorfin class ships (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: SWDAO: Challenger, Springfield, Whorfin class ships
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm... Do we know that the Lakul and Robert Fox were meant to be transports? If the Whorfin-class is a deep-space ship, it's possible they happaened to be the closest ships to El-Auria (?) at the time of the evacuation. The Galaxy class is capable of evacuating people, but you wouldn't call it a transport.

I'm not saying I necessarily believe this. If Generations says the two ships were specifically transports, I'll go w/ that. I'm just trying to present an alternative...

------------------
"I ran into Charlie Fogg.
He blacked my eye, and he kicked my dog.
My dog turned to me, and he said,
'Let's head back to Tennessee, Jed.'"
-The Grateful Dead, "Tennessee Jed"

Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe they are transports.

What is known-
the Whorfin Class ships are rated as Warp 4 capable ships
the Whorfin Class ships can carry up to 250 people
the Whorfin Class ships are registered as Ktarian ships (NFT)
Source: Star Trek: The Next Generation Companion

For me, the USS Whorfin is a Starfleet ship that is not a class ship

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those ships couldn't have been near El-Auria, considering that the planet is quite a long way away from Federation space.

------------------
"Gone savage for teenagers with automatic weapons and boundless love."
--
Soul Coughing

Trinculo
Ex-Member

The ships were three light years away from the Sol System.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if the ships never went near El-Auria, how did all the El-Aurians get onboard?

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does the fact that the refugees were El-Aurian mean they had to have been coming from El-Auria? Considering the planet was assimilated by the Borg, and Guinan suggested that the only survivors were those who were off the planet at the time, I find that unlikely.

------------------
"Gone savage for teenagers with automatic weapons and boundless love."
--
Soul Coughing

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Hm... Uh... Mm... Oh, shush. :-)

------------------

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Making the refugees El-Aurians was a major flaw of the film, and served obviously for the sole purpose to dedicate some scenes to Guinan, while Soran could have been any other race. Considering the El-Aurians were being assimilated at the time of the movie, they would have been far away from Federation territory, and it's quite unlikely that Federation ships, let alone transports, were near their planet. Maybe the refugees were picked up by Federation long-range explorers and later transferred to the transport ship. More probably they had an advanced starship themselves, but had to abandon it in Federation territory.

If the Whorfin NCC-1024 is a deep-space explorer, this makes it more probable it's not the Whorfin class ship, however, I wonder why they didn't list a class for this ship.

Trinculo
Ex-Member

Bernd:
Bjo Trimble decided not to include class information for the ships she listed in the Concordance. The ships have names, registries, and a brief history.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the El-Aurians were from the Delta Quadrant, since at the time the Borg were in the Delta Quadrant. Since we know how long it takes to get from the Delta Quadrant to the Alpha Quadrant this might mean that the El-Aurians have very advanced warp technology. Afterall, Guinan was on Earth in the 19th century from 1893 - ? Interestly enough, in "Booby Trap" (I think) Guinan mentions she likes bald men cause a bald man helped her when she was hurt. Captain Picard? "Times Arrow" seems to suggest that it was in fact Picard who helped her out...nice how that worked out 2 years later.

Back to the topic at hand. Guinan was on Earth then left only to head back during the events of Generations. I always thought she was on Earth because of the Borg, but if the Borg assimilated El-Auria after "Times Arrow" and she and other El-Aurians were coming to Earth because of the Borg in the 23rd century instead of 19th century, then why was she on Earth in the first place?

My guess is that during our 19th century and possibly eariler the El-Aurians were exploring space far before humans did. Using their advanced warp technology they could of been exploring most the Delta, Beta, and Alpha quadrants and nobody knew it. And that's why they might of been targeted by the Borg, for their advanced technology. The El-Aurian's might of even invented trans-warp which explains how they ventured so far into space, and how the Borg got trans-warp technology too. Since the Borg don't develop their own tech, they assimilate it from other races.

Hobbes

------------------
Evil moonbase: $50,000,000.00 Giant laser: $100,000,000.00 Perfect 1/8 size clone: Priceless.
For everything else there's...Austin Powers.

[This message was edited by Hobbes on June 13, 1999.]

[This message was edited by Hobbes on June 13, 1999.]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps