Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Geordi Made a Funny! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Geordi Made a Funny!
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, one of the theories about why phaser beams are slower than light and why we can see them is that there's some sort of matter in the beam. That could also account for the transporter effect.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possibly a phaser sunders the air molecules along the path of the beam and that's why it's visible and slower than light.
The atoms of oxygen breaking down along the beam's path is the energy discharged at the target.
This would explain why there's heat damage to a phaser blast.

Just a guess. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Same with Data when he fired at Kevis Fajo (spelled wrong for certain!).
The phaser discharge set off a alarm and O'Brien removed the energy in transit.

Which makes you wonder what else O'Brien or the transporter chiefs can remove during transport?

Sir, the incoming passenger has a hairy mole, I can remove it before rematerialisation.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That explains why nobody in the future has back hair and no woman has facial hair....
Truly a wonderful invention.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er.

I think O'Brien said "There's a weapon in a state of discharge ... I've disarmed it."

I always thought that when O'Brien beamed up Data, the firing pattern was interrupted (not that the energy beam itself was beamed up). If the weapon hadn't been disarmed in transit, it would have resumed firing when Data materialized.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I'd kick O'Brien's ass if he interrupted me while my weapon was in a state of discharge....

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That implies that O'Brien would be to hand while your weapon was in a state of discharge.

Still, it takes all sorts, eh?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
I always thought that when O'Brien beamed up Data, the firing pattern was interrupted (not that the energy beam itself was beamed up). If the weapon hadn't been disarmed in transit, it would have resumed firing when Data materialized.

Is this not what I just said? [Frown]

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
That implies that O'Brien would be to hand while your weapon was in a state of discharge.

Still, it takes all sorts, eh?

Well, somebody's gotta hold the camera. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps