Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » TOS Bridge Ceiling (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: TOS Bridge Ceiling
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Interesting, Timo. I didn't think Kirk was even in "The Cage"...
Not "The Cage". That's yeoman Smith there, not Colt. And could you imagine a red handrail in the officiously "Fobridden Planet" -colored first pilot?

Timo Saloniemi

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh. I thought you were talking about the linked picture showing the "view" through the dome.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
The turboshaft isn't that much of a problem, since later Trek lit suggests the lift cabs move to these nifty "alcoves" when letting people on or off. The main shaft would be on the centerline, the boarding alcove would be offset to port (perhaps to allow other cabs to continue straight up into a starbase docking tube). Works nicely if we move the bridge a few feet down, to get extra circumferential clearance.

The trouble with that is that bridge is already few feets down, and size ration doesn't allow for any alcoves (or, to be more precise, any of those alcoves would have to be visible from the outside)

Anyway, as one of the participants of TrekBBS proved, if we assume that rotated bridge is directly in the center of the dome, it causes turbolift to fit exactly in the external turbolift shaft.

So, we can either accept that bridge is directly in the center of the dome and is rotated 30 degrees, or it is facing forward and hugging foward dome wall.

Personally I prefer theory that bridge subcontractors missed memo that informed about saucer turbolift shaft relocation to the centerline of the dome and constructed several bridges with offset turbolift, forcing this odd rotation.
The best part is, all top-brass admirals at commisioning ceremony didn't notice a thing! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That definite article really is a bugger, isn't it?

I KID!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, the secondary exit is just starboard of the viewscreen, and diametrically opposite the turbolift. It makes sense to me that the two primary access points to the bridge are located along the centreline of the ship. And I've always attributed the rotated bridge to the fact that with inertial dampers, you won't feel any "tug" in the dierction of travel or planned maneuvers, so the bridge orientation is pretty meaningless.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
Also, the secondary exit is just starboard of the viewscreen, and diametrically opposite the turbolift. It makes sense to me that the two primary access points to the bridge are located along the centreline of the ship.

I assume you're referring to the TAS exit? If so, it's counterclockwise (port) from the viewscreen, and thus about 75-80 degrees off the centerline if you put the turbolift due aft.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the Redshirt lift: it leads directly to space.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL! That's a classic!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

I was referring to "Relics," actually. I'm not at home right now, and can't check my FJ plans. Where did he place the secondary exit again?

--Jonah

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nowhere. He did have a gangway running behind the consoles, with a hatch to it on one panel clockwise of the viewscreen.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya know, "Relics" was just using a holographic representation of the bridge. The "exit" you speak of was just the real exit leading to and from the holodeck doors. If the producers wanted it, they could have just placed the "exit" right where the viewscreen was.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps