Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Recognized a model part on Merchantman

Author Topic: Recognized a model part on Merchantman
SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if this has been noticed before, but I was watching some of Star Trek III on DVD and on one of the extras programs they had a really up close shot of the Merchantman freighter.

I don't know how I missed it before, but I just noticed a very apparent model kit part. It's a 1/144 scale Space shuttle kit main fuselage half...presumably one on the other side as well!

Merchantman - shuttle kit part

I took screen caps (and comp'ed the images; the image was panning) and circled the area where the shuttle model part is. I feel shame that I didn't spot this earlier! [Embarrassed]

For those who can't believe I'd graffiti a nice picture like this, here is an unadulterated pic:

Merchantman filming model

No real point to this except maybe to fellow modelers on this forum, but I thought it was neat and wanted to share! [Wink]

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might want to re-upload the files, with extensions.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Works for me.
Although the color looks far too majenta for the Merchantman: shouldnt it be more a red-rust color?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends upon how the lighting was set up.
On the other hand it was redressed numerous times for TNG & DS9.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thinking on it, I bet it's majenta because of it's stint as the Videan ship when we first saw them on Voyager.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
You might want to re-upload the files, with extensions.

Well that's the new Flare upload. Sounded weird to me as well. That's what it asked of me and that's what it gave as a link to post.

I don't know when the picture was taken, but presumably they didn't uncrate it just for the Trek III DVD special so it's probably the real deal from way back in the early 80s. Those things never look the same in 'normal' lighting as they do on screen.

Look at the filming model of the Jem'Hadar Fighter: Mid green, Purple, violet, blue, maroon...who would've thought?

--------------------
Stephen L.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. Are you using XP, and do you have file extensions set to "hidden"?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When FlareUpload asks you for a new filename, you still have to give it the proper extension.

IE overrides server configuration and still displays them as jpegs, but other browsers follow the server's rules, and display extension-less files as text/plain.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty cool. Looks like a bomb or a torpedo right below it too.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

SoundEffect
Member # 926

OK. I can no longer edit the post so here's the two pics again, with extensions this time:

Merchantman - shuttle part identified

Merchantman - studio model pic

Aban, I did see the bomb part there as well. The main cylindrical piece at the front is the 1/144 External shuttle tank from the same kit. I wish there were some better shots to identify more model kit parts....I imagine there's many more!

--------------------
Stephen L.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we should consider ourselves lucky that most Trek ships aren't rolled-in-the-parts-box agglomerations but smooth-hulled beauties. I remember seeing a Galactica modelers site that claimed they had ID'd just about every kit part used on the Battlestar.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a Shuttle ET right below it.
Near the back, I recognize a Saturn-V, second stage tank bottom (the five engines mount).

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

That's a lot of engine parts for such a tiny ship.
Looks like there's shuttle engine nozzles on there as well.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps