Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » SWDAO: Constitution-class decks

Author Topic: SWDAO: Constitution-class decks
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if this was brought up, but...

In Star Trek: V while Kirk, Spock, and Bones are flying up the turbolift shaft using Spock's rocket boots (or anti-grav boots whatever you want to call 'em) on the side of the shaft says something like Deck 64. I'm not sure of the exact number itself, but I do know it was very high. Now maybe if they were in Starbase 74 I could find it believible, but on a Constitution-class ship with 23 decks, no.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about and have an answer?

Hobbes

Federation Starship Datalink

------------------
"You're a groovy baby...baby" - Austin Powers

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The normal explanation is one of the following:

In the rush to fit the E-A out some elements were 'borrowed' from Space Dock itself, including a turbo lift shaft (what else aprt from Space Dock has that many decks?), and they hadn't got around to repainting the signage yet.

Or, one of the many malfunctions on the E-A was the deck sign painting robot.

Has anyone ever wondered why there were big bright signs on the inside of the lift shaft? The dark, mostly label free shaft on the E-D in 'Disaster' seems much more realistic.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the shaft from the E-D was wrong, too. As far as I can tell, there's no place on the ship where there is a vertical turboshaft that long...

Also, there are more problems w/ the E-A's shaft in ST5. For one thing, the number increase as you go higher in the ship (deck 12 was at the bottom, deck 77 was at the top). Also, in one case, they passed the same number twice. Personally, I chalk it up to the fact that ST5 was a complete fiasco, technically speaking, so I'm willing to ignore any of the mistakes they made.

------------------
"I ran into Charlie Fogg.
He blacked my eye, and he kicked my dog.
My dog turned to me, and he said,
'Let's head back to Tennessee, Jed.'"
-The Grateful Dead, "Tennessee Jed"

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that one of the turboshaft's running from the battle bridge went from Deck 8 to around Deck 20. That's quite a long way.

------------------
"Angels and Ministers of Grace, defend us"
-Hamlet, Act I, Scene IV

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really? I'll have to look into that...

------------------

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I looked in the internal diagram of the Enterprise-D in the Technical Manual. If we can assume that those vertical spaces are the turboshafts, there is a vertical turboshaft starting at the battle bridge and running down 24 decks. There is also another one that starts on deck 11 and runs down 13 decks (from the saucer impulse engine to the forward torpedo launcher). In the saucer section, there is a shaft running from deck 5 down to the captain's yacht.

------------------
"Some people call me the Space Cowboy. Yeah! Some call me the Gangster of Love. Some people call me Maurice. Whoo hoo! 'Cause I speak of the Pompatus of Love!" - Steve Miller Band's The Joker

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Well, in the MSD type of diagrams, the turboshafts are merely representative. We know that, on each deck, the turboshafts run horizontally all over the place. This, however, cannot be accurately shown on a cutaway. I'm talking about the turboshafts shown in the blueprints.

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hobbes: Could you write up the text for this, then, using the info that everyone mentioned? The theory IDC repeated is pretty good, actually...

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Speak softly, drive a Sherman tank." - TMBG

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps