Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Tally of propulsion methods by A.D. 2400 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Tally of propulsion methods by A.D. 2400
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Scott's guide claims that Excelsior's transwarp was based on the interphase phenomenon from "The Tholian Web", although it's a very vague story.

There's also the notion of 'hypersubspace', which the Pathfinder people used to communicate with Voyager.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
wf 14.1 after M/AM integrator fuses (extremely close to wf 10 TNG).

Er, you sure?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing is close to Warp 10 on the TNG scale... it is infinite... the warp scale in TNG continues to add decimal places with speed ever vastly increasing but no new stable area is found, like at the integral warp factors 1-9. 1.5 is faster than 1 but not as efficent as 2. The same is true for factors above Warp 9... they just haven't found the right combination of factors to eek out another point of efficency. This is perhaps a barrier of technology vertium cornide can only be refined so much and after that there isn't anything you can do to it to make it absorb plasma and transmit subspace fields better. At that point you need to add other technologies to the system [like the Borg's transwarp coil].

There is nothing that is pretty darn close to Warp 10... not even subspace comms which go 9.9997 IIRC [and probably faster since TNG TM].

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I admit, the warp calculator I used was a bit off. I found a better one, and wf 14.1 = wf 9.5669 in TNG. Still pretty damn impressive for a Constitution.

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Hypersubspace"...that'd be normal space, wouldn't it. And why do we forget Voth transwarp drive, which was obviously neither conduit-driven nor everywhere & squishy?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

Yes, "hypersubspace" was a really clever bit of Thresholdian technocrap. On nearly the same level as "warp particles" and "fast than light, no left or right".

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I came up with six years ago.

I'm not so happy about the prose these days, but it still seems sound enough to me.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That looks remarkably like a Yahoo "fuck off" page. I bow to your forgery skills, Sol.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anyone mention the Romulan forced artificial blackhole propulsion or what ever it was?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was just an alternative power-generation system for a conventional warp drive.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My own fault for relying on the dead past, I suppose.

I wonder if I have it somewhere more convenient...

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

For realz, y'all.
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If that diagram reveals anything, it's the futility of trying to depict a four-dimensional reality from a three-dimensional vantage point through a two-dimensional medium with one-dimensional iconography.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Dimension these!
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Warp 10 = Infinite Speed right?
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps