Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Tech Zealots! ["Chosen Realm" Spoilers] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$ Tech Zealots! ["Chosen Realm" Spoilers]
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheWoozle:
Might be overlooking the obvious. Xb could be ten-bytes. I expect that Xbytes is what will become kilo-quads in the future.

So 19.4 * 10 bytes = 194 XB? I've got single screenshots bigger than that! Whoever wrote the Enterprise's software must have a dang good file compression program! [Razz]

Tim: Good point about adding more prefixes. I should've thought of that.

Woozle: You sure the Klingons had transporters? I don't think they used them at all in the four or five episodes (egad, that many?) we've seen them in. I'm pretty sure the transporter has been shown as a Human-only device. Maybe because Archer and company are the only ones stupid enough to use something like it?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Trimm
Member # 865

- posted      Profile for Trimm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They used them in Maurauders IIRC.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"So 19.4 * 10 bytes = 194 XB? I've got single screenshots bigger than that! Whoever wrote the Enterprise's software must have a dang good file compression program!"

Well, there's not just that. There's already a prefix for "ten". Plus, there's not much point to using it. I mean, why say "19.4XB" when you can just say "194B". It'd be like writing in scientific notation when you're only multiplying by 101.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, here's mine. Another obtuse metaphor" episode, not bad, but lacking depth as usual. Apologies for any duplications - this is also the first time I can watch and type at the same time, due to my new DUAL MONITOR SYSTEM! BWAHAHAHA!!!

-We open with Mayweather and Trip taking close scans of a sphere. They seem to be absolutely identical between them, probably exclusive of that customized door from "Anomaly".

-T'Pol notes right at the beginning that with the new data, she can calculate the EXACT number of spheres in the Expanse. Her earlier estimate was probably just that.

-To be fair, the zealots were assured to have no weapons, probably by visual scan. They screwed up, obviously.

-Yeah, that ship is pretty small for all the people inside. Then again, refugee boats can cram quite a few people into their teeny hulls. Given the low tech of this species and their relgious fervor, it wouldn't surprise me that they were making do with a smaller ship to achieve their goals.

-The Triannon system is 6.3 light years from their position, inside a star cluster.

-I'm pretty sure that they've forgotten Enterprise is still carrying spatial torpedoes. Pity, since they've been seen numerous times in the armory set.

-For doing stuff like scanning, walking on and entering spehres, the phenom prenom says he's obligated to destroy the ship. I wonder how, or if, he's ever done so before with his puny vessel.

-On the "FILES DELETED" screen, under the volume of files deleted line it reads "& Com System Updated". I take this to mean COMPUTER system, not communications.

-The files seemed to be deleted along the lines of keywords. I guess it isn't THAT bad, since they likely still have the Xindi database, and they can go back and re-scan the identical spheres. What they've mostly lost then is the probable locations of the other spheres, and the recipie for Trellium-D (which was seen to be erased). I'm sure they can eventually get most of this stuff back with further scans.

-Man, the Captain's logs seem to be a popular destination for folks who take over the ship... Still, with apparently unlimited access to the ship's computer, did ANY of them not read about the transporter system?!

-The J-tube set that Archer uses as his ops bases seems to be partially new - it looks like it's been made from bits of wall segments and a computer bank from the catwalk set.

-NINE DAYS versus TEN DAYS?! Yeesh!

-Once again, the forward photons are seen emerging form the old tubes instead of the new centerline tube seen in "The Expanse". Damn. And do these guys have an aversion to energy weapons for some reason?

-For anyone keeping track, the rifles used in this episode are the dual-barrel types, and they are consistently seen firing beams from the upper barrel. Reed's rifle is actually shot at one point and goes offline, so he throws it at a guy - a first, I think.

-Speaking of firsts, is this the first time they've actually SAID the term "MACO"? I'd been wondering this for a while now...

-We see the MACO pistol again, which is still the EM-33. Yay!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
XB= Exabyte actually... not EB:

1 byte = 8 bits (usually)
1 kilobyte = 1 KB (1 KB = 210 bytes) = 1,024 bytes
1 megabyte = 1024 KB (1 MB = 220 bytes) = 1,048,576 bytes
1 gigabyte = 1024 MB (1 GB = 230 bytes) = 1,073,741,824 bytes
1 terabyte = 1024 GB (1 TB = 240 bytes) = 1,099,511,627,776 bytes
1 petabyte = 1024 TB (1 PB = 250 bytes) = 1,125,899,906,842,624 bytes
1 exabyte = 1024 PB (1 XB = 260 bytes) = 1,152,921,504,606,846,976 bytes
1 zettabyte = 1024 XB (1 ZB = 270 bytes) = 1,180,591,620,717,411,303,424 bytes
1 yottabyte = 1024 ZB (1 YB = 280 bytes) = 1,208,925,819,614,629,174,706,176 bytes

--------------------
o::{====> Alshrim Dax <====}::o

~ Cry Havoc - and let slip the dogs of war!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe you, but... What's your source on this?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't believe him. "Exa-" is 'E'.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, amazingly they are being consistent by having the beams come out of the top barrel.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One site was speaking somewhat theoretcially, because Terabyte or TB, Exabyte or XB, or EB - and so on weren't standard yet...

I'll defer to TSN, as I think he's right into that stuff.. But the amount of info i've found suggests otherwise...

I have a couple of sources on the net that refer to Exabyte as XB ..

http://gw.org.za/prefixes.htm

This next one is an HTML view of a PowerPoint Presentation.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=cache:MORKTm36QG8J:dblab.usc.edu/csci485/Fall2003/6FS.ppt+Exabyte+XB+Terabyte+TB&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

The orginal PPT : http://dblab.usc.edu/csci485/Fall2003/6FS.ppt

And another: http://www.svetlozar.com/learningcenter/reference/0000012.html

And another: http://www.logiko.com/references/unit.html

THis next one is from MetroState College!!!

http://www.mscd.edu/~dream/dt_tasks/complit/Intro/gloss.htm#Thumb-E

Soooooo --- if a college can suggests that Exabyte is XB -- then the writers of this episode could have surely made that determination as well...

From Mitchell College of Business: http://www.southalabama.edu/mcob/techq_1.html

what can I say..

Davok
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Davok     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Google search for "exabyte eb" returned 2,320 results, "exabyte xb" only 242 [Wink]
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I'll defer to TSN..."

As well you should. Timmy is never wrong.

Hey, maybe "XB" just represents Enterprise's X-Bytes? Like the X-Files but in secret binary form, see? SEE?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

"Timmy is never wrong."

It is a difficult burden to bear. But I shall be strong, for all your sakes.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, well, you already carry far more weight than any man should, so you'll manage. B)
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ZING!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

hheheh.. Yip.. Timmy's the brains for sure...

All I was saying is - if other colleges make that determination, the writers must have as well...

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps