Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Let's Play "Spot The MACO!" ($$$) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Let's Play "Spot The MACO!" ($$$)
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a spin-off from my unending quest to get a screencap featuring a decent side-on view of the MACO rifle, so I can work up a schematic of it, I've been compiling a list of the MACO personnel we've seen so far. Here's what I've got.

NOTE: This list includes details of which actors are known to appear in upcoming episodes, information from press releases etc. and freely available on Trektoday etc.; while it doesn't say what they do in that episode, to some the mere fact that a certain guest star is known to appear is too much of a spoiler for them, so be warned!

Major D. (?) Hayes (Steven Culp) - "The Xindi," "The Shipment," "Harbinger," "Hatchery."

Sergeant N. Kemper (Nathan Anderson) - "The Xindi," "Anomaly."

Corporal Chang (Daniel Dae Kim) - "The Xindi," "Extinction," "Hatchery."

Corporal McKenzie (Julia Rose) - "Anomaly."

Coporal Romero (Marco Sanchez) - "The Xindi."

Corporal Hawkins (Sean McGowan) - "Impulse," "The Shipment" (mentioned only), "Hatchery."

Palmer (Troy Mittleider) - "Extinction."

Ryan - "The Xindi," "Anomaly" (?), "Twilight."

S. Money (Dorenda Moore) - "The Xindi," "Raijin," "North Star."

G. (?) Woods - "Anomaly," "Twilight," "North Star."

H. or M. Austin - "Raijin."

D. Moreno - "Twilight."

C. Hammond (Kevin Derr?) - "North Star."

Amanda Cole (Noa Tishby) - "Harbinger."

Notes:

1. With the caps I've been getting, it's sometimes almost possible to determine the first initial. It's not always easy, it's like trying to read the registry of the USS Fredrickson from Relativity!

2. Ryan is the sniper from "The Xindi;" I'm not sure about him appearing in "Anomaly," that's from someone else's list, and there is someone who looks a bit like him in "Twilight."

3. So that's at least fifteen MACO on board. . . That sound right, given there are still supposedly about 80 people on board?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, Money and Woods were in "Chosen Realm" (just finished watching it) along with two others I've not see before. . .

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that's some pretty good work. Now, let's try to establish some context here. Does anyone know how Marine detachments are assigned aboard ships? Number, groupings or squads, and so forth? And for comparison's sake, how are army team or squads arranged?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Lee
Member # 393

Something else to think about, courtesy of a former Navy SEAL I talk with over email:-

quote:
As far as what the MACOs do, you could expect them jogging (although, it looks like Enterprise's gym might have equipment to simulate "jogging over distance" without doing it in the cramped corridors, something like those "virtual reality" skiing apparatuses you sometimes see in arcades). You'd also see them engaging in alot of the other physical activities available in the gym. Probably a lot of the skills-sharpening stuff, would be supplementing and cross-training with other crew members (learning to use and service the ship's weapons systems, small arms, shuttlepods, possibly some personnel spending time "apprenticed" to Dr. Phlox, or Hoshi, etc. to utilize medical or communications training) and I would also imagine they and the ship's security personnel utilizing sections of the ship for "wargaming", practicing room entry, hostage rescue (there's one for you, LT Reed playing the part of a hostage-taker, and T'Pol playing the part of damsel-in-distress!) and so on. I also imagine they'd engage in familiarization and re-familiarization with as much of the ship's systems and equipment as possible. In short, they're aboard, so they'll make themselves useful.
. . . so why don't we see any of this stuff? I hate the way the MACOs just pop up when needed, you'd almost think they were EMH's!

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Please state the nature of the military emergency," then? [Wink]

Wow, that's a nice list already, Lee! I guess I haven't been paying close enough attention -- I hadn't even noticed (or remembered) that the MACOs always have nametags on their uniforms.

I did figure that they probably had some of the extras on board from week to week, but I was also kinda sidetracked because they're not always speaking parts (though sometimes they are).

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
". . . so why don't we see any of this stuff?"

For the same reason we don't see any of the characters take a crap? You know it's happening somewhere, sometime, but it's not important to the story.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i wonder if Hayes is the only officer of the group.. how big a military force would have a captain or lieutenant as squad leaders, rather than a full major (unless Hayes is really a captain but is called major because of that old 'there can only be one captain on a ship' naval parlance)
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
". . . so why don't we see any of this stuff?"

For the same reason we don't see any of the characters take a crap? You know it's happening somewhere, sometime, but it's not important to the story.

plus continuity buffs would display self-righteous fecal outrage when the crap in the toilet was light brown in one shot, then the next scene as Shatner stands it is suddenly apple green ARE WE TO BELIEVE THERE IS MAGIC COLOR CHANGING SHIT IN THE FUTURE?? I WILL WRITE OF THIS IN MY NEXT FAQ!! IT WAS ESTABLISHED IN BROKEN BOW THAT VULCAN WOMENS SHIT DOESNT STINK SO WHY DOES SEASON 3 TPOL CRAP STINK CHANGED PREMISE PILOT SERIES!!?!?!?
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
unless Hayes is really a captain but is called major because of that old 'there can only be one captain on a ship' naval parlance
I thought Heinlein made that up.
Lee
Member # 393

I'm not saying we should see "A Day In The Life of a MACO," just, much as we often see random crewmembers in the background of scenes, be it in a corridor, the messhall or a cargo bay, wouldn't it be good to see the occasional MACO doing something, anything, apart from only popping out of nowhere heavily armed whenever the shit hits the fan? Woods and Money seem to be their regular in-house MACO extras (although she's actually a stuntwoman) so why not utilise them?

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to see this too. I think the only casual MACO encounter we've seen was in "The Xindi" when Hoshi schmoozed with them in the Mess.

Reading the SEAL's comments above, I think a great opener for an ep. would be for the MACOs to be practicing a rescue. T'Pol or Hoshi are tied up and Malcolm's going all nuts on them with a Phase Pistol and we're supposed to think that he's gone looney between shows... but see, he hasn't... cause it's only pretend. Get it?

Lee
Member # 393

We can dream. . .

OK, after much tedious trawling through of .avi files, I've revised the list, now by rank and alphabetical order:-

Major D. (?) Hayes (Steven Culp) - "The Xindi," "The Shipment," "Harbinger," "Hatchery."

Sergeant Kemper (Nathan Anderson) - "The Xindi," "Anomaly."

Corporal Chang (Daniel Dae Kim) - "The Xindi," "Extinction," "Hatchery."

Corporal Hawkins (Sean McGowan) - "Anomaly," "Impulse," "The Shipment" (mention only), "Hatchery."

Corporal McKenzie (Julia Rose) - "Anomaly."

Coporal Romero (Marco Sanchez) - "The Xindi."

Corporal (?) Ryan - "The Xindi" (sniper), "Anomaly" (?), "Twilight," (?), "Chosen Realm" (?).

H. or M. Austin - "Raijin."

Amanda Cole (Noa Tishby) - "Harbinger."

C. Hammond (Kevin Derr?) - "North Star," "Hatchery" (?).

S. Money (Dorendra Moore) "The Xindi," "Raijin," "North Star," "Chosen Realm."

D. Moreno - "Twilight."

Palmer (Troy Mittleider) - "Extinction."

G. (?) Woods (Kevin Derr?) - "Anomaly," "Twilight," "North Star," "Chosen Realm," "Hatchery" (?).

Notes:

1. Ryan. . . well, it sure looks like him every time.

2. I have this nightmare where the guy who I've been identifying as Woods turns out to be a different actor every time, and I get accused of being a racist because "all black men look alike." But I'm sure it's him, and if it isn't then we're going to end up with about 30 different MACOs in a crew of 80.

3. We won't know who Kevin Derr plays until we see "Hatchery" - if Woods appears but not Hammond, or vice versa, then that's that problem solved. If they both still appear, then I'd be inclined to say it's Hammond because Woods hasn't been credited in any of his other eps. Make sense?

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I'm not saying we should see "A Day In The Life of a MACO," just, much as we often see random crewmembers in the background of scenes, be it in a corridor, the messhall or a cargo bay, wouldn't it be good to see the occasional MACO doing something, anything, apart from only popping out of nowhere heavily armed whenever the shit hits the fan?"

Well, the thing is, the camera typically follows the main characters around. How often do you think the main characters pop into the middle of a MACO training exercise? Especially to do something important to the plot.

Lee
Member # 393

Don't be obtuse, Timothy. We're talking about background characters doing stuff. They didn't exactly explain what that crewmember was doing when she chose to walk down that wrong corridor at the wrong time on the last episode, did they? She was just there. I'm saying we should at least see more instances of MACOs being 'just there.'

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Well, I'm not saying we shouldn't see one walk down the hallway in the background once in a while. But you seemed to be saying you wanted to see them doing MACO-y things. And while I'm sure they could figure out an excuse to incorporate something like that, I just don't think it's particularly strange that we wouldn't see it.

And, actually, I haven't seen the last episode yet. They decided to go back to new episodes the one week I didn't bother to check whether there was going to be a rerun or not, so I'll have to catch it Saturday.

Lee
Member # 393

Hell, walking down the hallway, doing MACOey things, doing their laundry, ANYTHING! They're only a quarter of the crew, granted, and for sure we probably never saw a representative slice of, say, Voyager's crew - half of them could've been dwarves for all we know - but I'd just like to see something that suggests they're more than just EMHs - Emergency Marine Holograms. 8)

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps