Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Deep Space Nine's mass? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Deep Space Nine's mass?
Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had to do a little digging, but I found a blueprint set I picked up at a convention about ten years ago. It had prints of the E-A, E-D and DS9, and it was licensed by Paramount and produced by Zanart. It gave the following data:

Diameter: 1,007.67 meters
Height: 674.09 meters
Weight: 8,670,000 metric tons

Where they got this info (and what was used to compute it), I have no idea.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, seeing as how DS9's dimensions were never firmly established, those aren't a bad estimate, either. But since I wanted this info for a Memory Alpha article, I figured it'd be better to stick with the semi-official DS9:TM dimensions.

Still useful info, though, 'cause it helps establish a rough ballpark for corroborating other data, too.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, If you go by the figures given by Sternbach and Okuda, the DS9 TM overestimates the diameter of the station by about 7.5% (which shouldn't be much of a surprise, given how screwed up the data is in the starship section of the book)

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Woodside Kid:
Well, If you go by the figures given by Sternbach and Okuda, the DS9 TM overestimates the diameter of the station by about 7.5% (which shouldn't be much of a surprise, given how screwed up the data is in the starship section of the book)

I wish I still had the blueprint Rick Sternbach sent me when DS9 first came on the air, back when the station was considerably smaller. It was a cutaway and showed human figures in relation to the thing. As I recall in that plan its diameter was maybe 1.6 times the length of Galaxy class. If you look at the size of the Promenade windows you can see that the model was designed and built with that lower size in mind. But they blew the scale in the first episode when they parked the Enterprise there and got its size all wrong, and they never did get it consistent after that.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The station could never be that size... unless you are talking about something before they docked the E-D to the station in Emissary and this was all pre-production.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UG...I have many issues with this.

As a modelmaker, I consider the DS9 model by ERTL to be accurate for 250h scale (as the Defiant and Runabouts that go with it definitely are) but I'm smacked by all the onscreen evidence pointing to a station 1500 meters across.
THe worst of these shots is from DS9's opening credits where a Nebula is docked at the upper pylon: the station's about 3000 meters across in that shot or the Nebula went into that shrinking anamoly...and...er..
It's just easier to say they fucked up the shot than try to explain it, really.

The station's windows point to a much smaller station than shown during most of the show run.
The final scene of the series with Kira and Jake-O standing at the Promenade window confirms it.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do wonder exactly what was wrong with object size on Deep Space 9. With the Enterprise-D, they had exact dimensions before the show had started. Same with Voyager. But DS9 and the Defiant seem to live in a crazy land of "oh, only guessed and no-one listened to us really".

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oddly, given the smaller size of DS9, Voyager when docked there in Caretaker looked correct for it's 350(ish) meter size.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J:
The station could never be that size... unless you are talking about something before they docked the E-D to the station in Emissary and this was all pre-production.

If you are referring to my post, I said they blew that scale in the first episode the moment the showed the E-D next to it. But I received these plans from Rick probably 8 weeks after the pilot aired.

(I was working on a licensed DS9 video game, and he was nice enough to send me the blueprints to the station, including a cutaway, and the soundstage plans. Sadly, all that stuff's long gone...last I knew it was in Budapest where the game was programmed.)

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Much of their scaling, when they were doing model filming, was done with foamcore models. Not all the filming model were to scale with one another, but they had several foam board models that were scaled. They had Galor Class foam mock ups scaled to DS9, they had the Maquis ship and Kazon foam models scaled with Voyager.

The biggest problem was the aforementioned scaling of the Galaxy Class and Nebula Class ships to the station.

If I counted right, DS9 has 35 decks from Ops to the fusion core.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps