Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$$ Staged Tech! ("Stratagem" spoilers) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$$ Staged Tech! ("Stratagem" spoilers)
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we got a few interesting tech tidbits in this episode:

-- Perhaps most importantly, we've confirmed that those "Descent"-type-transwarp-conduit-things really ARE FTL engines and not cloaks. Speeds are about right for transwarp, too -- six light-years in a few minutes? Not bad...

-- The Xindi shuttle Degra was on had a different nacelle configuration, and used the main deflector to facilitate the transit.

-- The MACOs use subdermal transmitters for communication. So how come Starfleet's still not using them for most circumstances two hundred years later?

Other points of interest:

-- So the Xindi have been working on their superweapon program for "years", eh? That's rather amusing, considering that they basically gave themselves away with that "test" shot. On the other hand, it seems that the Xindi are unaware of the time-travel elements in this situation, for whatever reason. Either way, if they were planning a second weapon, why give away their hand early?

-- We "finally" get to see the infamous Regulan bloodworm. Which looked basically like a bunch of rolled-out gelatin with some antennae attached.

-- So, what the heck are we supposed to be calling these various Xindi races? "Humanoids" and "Arboreals"? "Primates"? and "Sloths"? These seem kinda inconsistent to me...

A couple of requests for people who've got the closed captioning (and a taped copy, of course). I'd like spelling on the following: Kalendra (weapon test site), Inara (Degra's wife), plus his kids' names, Merik III (?).

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny thing about Regulan Blood Worms. David Gerrold, the originator of the RBWs wrote them as the physical, paracitical, forms of hive-like energy creatures. Read his new novel, Blood and Fire (originally a star trek script).

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it me or the chairs from the Defiant and the Delta Flyer set are being used?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
A couple of requests for people who've got the closed captioning (and a taped copy, of course). I'd like spelling on the following:

At your service!

quote:
Kalendra (weapon test site),
Calindra

quote:
Inara (Degra's wife),
Naara

quote:
his kids' names,
Piral and Jaina

quote:
Merik III
Maarek Three

Other points:
-- Timestamp: December 15th, 2153. (This was not given directly, but the log stated that Dec 12 was "three days earlier.")
-- I thought plasma coolant liquified organic material on contact? [Razz]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

[ February 04, 2004, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fed starships from 100 years later probably dont use the same coolant as shuttle simulators from Enterprise's time. [Razz]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes but in ANY time frame, a substance used to cool warp plasma would have to be pretty DAMN cold, now, wouldn't it? Probably cold enough to freeze-melt flesh.

I just watched Solaris last night. That's why I was thinking about this. Pretty neat trick with the liquid oxygen, eh?

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Freeze-melt"? How does that work?

Strangely enough, I just saw Solaris the other night, too. That has to be one of the most boring films I've ever watched.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

You probably aren't a big 2001: A Space Odyssey fan.

Well anyway, whatever the correct terminology is for the process, a really cold substance will have a similar effect on your flesh as to that of a really hot one. It will "melt" it.

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The MACOs use subdermal transmitters for communication. So how come Starfleet's still not using them for most circumstances two hundred years later?
They were called 'subdermal recievers', and presumably were one-way devices only.

A few things I noticed:

- The NX-01 did all that shaking and moving while the Xindi vessel was still docked?

- There was a Starfleet medical officer/crewman attending the "wounded" on the Bridge.

- Where and how did they build that shuttle mockup? And how long did it take?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must say, that was one of the better Enterprise episodes. I was afraid for a moment that it was going to be another one of those Star-Trek-does-Stephen-King-(badly) head trip episodes.

Instead, this was a very nicely scripted episode that never stopped moving, and showed the crew as being smooth as hell. Even Hoshi was big-pimpin' this time.

1. At first, I was ticked about the memory wipe, being under the impression that it was a new thing when Pulaski did it in "Pen Pals". However, in reviewing the conversation about it between Picard and Pulaski, it doesn't seem like a bad thing. (It's slightly contrary to Crusher referring to "Pulaski's technique" in "Who Watches the Watchers?", but that's minor and readily forgivable.)

2. I loves me some keyloggers. But, Hoshi's voice alteration to play 'Thalen'(?) made the guy sound like a tired drunk.

3. They designed and built that simulation chamber in three days, not to mention training Archer on its use and everyone else on the operation of it. That's rather impressively fast.

4. A half-dozen light-years in a couple of minutes . . . if we use that value directly, that's 3ly/min. Translated into lightspeed terms, that's 1,576,800c.

I don't see how they could be that fast . . . if they were, one would think that the Federation Starfleet would be using that as their drive system instead of warp. (And we know the ability to use the vortices isn't limited to the Delphic Expanse . . . they drop out of FTL right beside Earth, after all.)

5. Archer had good Khan hair ("Space Seed").

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
he Xindi version of Transwarp might only work from the expanse...those Spheres warp space for a reason, I'd wager.
Mabye they act like a transwarp slingshot from the expanse to wherever?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or the Temporal War wipes the Xindi and their tech from the timeline...

- If Phlox could isolate specific memories in Degra's head, why couldn't he just have taken the Azati Prime coordinates from his head?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He never says he could, just that he can erase the "most recent" memory engrams. . . Archer asks how selective the wipe could be, but you never hear the answer. He wasn't reading memories, just suppressing them.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heck, any good blow to the head will do that.

If it where Dr. Crusher, she would have used a non-magneto concussion conduit.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
You probably aren't a big 2001: A Space Odyssey fan.

Well anyway, whatever the correct terminology is for the process, a really cold substance will have a similar effect on your flesh as to that of a really hot one. It will "melt" it.

Hey, I LOVE 2001, and I found Solaris (the recent version) dulllllllllllllllll.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps