Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » TNG Engineering set in ST6: will it fit in 1701-A? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: TNG Engineering set in ST6: will it fit in 1701-A?
Commander Dan
Member # 558

- posted      Profile for Commander Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As most here know, the Next Generation engineering set was redressed and used for the 1701-A engineering room in Star Trek VI. As such, I have always wondered if indeed, that set could be made to �fit� in the 1701-A.

With the Strategic Design Deck plans as a starting point, I decided to give it a shot, having never seen anyone else attempt this. I decided to try to keep it on Deck 15 (Deck �O�), so as to remain as faithful as possible to previous designs and lore.

Certainly, my interpretation can be considered questionable, especially when one takes headroom into account. Additionally, I had little choice but to �squash� the forward part of the engineering room in order for it to fit.

I certainly have no plans to blueprint the entire vessel, and I attempted this only for my own personal amusement. Any suggestions, opinions, and/or constructive criticism are welcome.

http://home.comcast.net/~commander-dan/1701A-Deck15.jpg

[ February 11, 2004, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: Commander Dan ]

--------------------
“My experience with Rick Berman is, you know, he does not understand what he's doing, he does not understand science fiction.”
-- Andrew Probert

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neat. Problem being that the ceiling clearance wouldn't work.

Now, since so much of the Ent A interiors don't match the refit, it's not unreasonable to assume the engine room is a deck lower than on the refit.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I postulate that the ST6/TNG Engineering Set was the 'Impulse Engineering'.

- Strategic Design

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yet the warp core was right there in the middle of it...

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As usual, I suggest that the main engineering of both the E-nil and E-A is located farther back than originally intended by Probert. This solves the E-A ceiling clearance problem just as neatly as it solves the E-nil "TARDIS corridor forward" problem.

Also, the engineering systems of E-nil and E-A could be identical, and the facility shown in ST6 would simply be farther down the vertical shaft. Perhaps the E-nil always had an intermix chamber like the one shown in ST6, it simply was at the basement and not at the branch point of vertical and horizontal plasma conduits (not "intermix shafts"!).

In that setup, the vertical pulsating thingamabob in ST6 might be a separate assembly just one deck high or something, while the narrower conduits (recycled from the TMP set) tie directly to the TMP vertical/horizontal plasma conduit system. Orientation of the ST6 set is up to your imagination - perhaps the facility is rotated 180 degrees from the way you show it, so that the pulsating core thing is slightly aft of the vertical plasma conduit.

In case you aren't totally repelled by the blasphemy yet, I suggest this ST6 set was indeed on the lower decks of the engineering hull, was an addition to the original design, and was actually built into where the E-nil had the cavernous cargo hold. If I were refitting a ship, I'd make use of this existing "free" space...

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The blueprint looks cool, but in addition to the problems already mentioned, you're also not taking into account the deflector components that would lie directly behind the dish. Seems to me that they would likely take up a good half of the space you have dedicated to the engineering set.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thought the same thing as Aban - but then realised that the Engineering deck maybe a number of decks above or below the bulk of the deflector equipment... and that outside that 'hull plating' is just the dish.
Commander Dan
Member # 558

- posted      Profile for Commander Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as far as the 1701-refit goes (as seen in I, II, and III), I have a hard time accepting that the engineering set could be anywhere but in the location that it is so often placed (deck 15). There are many factors that suggest this: number of decks that can be seen looking down the intermix shaft in TMP; curvature and beam structure built into the ceiling of the set; the correlation between the Reliant�s phaser fire and engineering damage as seen in TWOK.

As for the corridors forward of engineering as seen in TMP; I just accept that as a production error: Much like seventy some-odd decks as seen in Star Trek V, or the way the Millennium Falcon set would never fit into the ship without major rearrangements.

I have always felt that one is somewhat "locked" into the notion of having to put a single intermix shaft forward of the secondary hull, since there is plating on the exterior of the dorsal that clearly marks where this shaft is located. However, with that being said, I may be open to the idea of the shaft making a couple of 90 degree turns (but only on 1701-A) to get it farther back into the hull as suggested by Timo.

I echo AndrewR�s assessment of the deflector issue.

[ February 12, 2004, 07:55 AM: Message edited by: Commander Dan ]

--------------------
“My experience with Rick Berman is, you know, he does not understand what he's doing, he does not understand science fiction.”
-- Andrew Probert

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder... Isn't the trail of Khan's phasers actually well aft of the "Probert location"? Or at least the trail is long enough and aft enough that one could position the TMP engineering set almost halfway down the hull and still have the phasers cut into it.

I mean, the trail starts below the torp deck docking port, and goes aft from there. That's way behind the section of the connecting fin where Probert places the vertical shaft. Pictures available at the "invisible saucer" thread of General Trek forum...

Timo Saloniemi

Commander Dan
Member # 558

Here are some ideas (as suggested by Timo) for alternative locations for Main Engineering:

http://home.comcast.net/~commander-dan/1701-A_cutaway-alt1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~commander-dan/1701-A_cutaway-alt2.jpg

--------------------
-- Andrew Probert

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never understood the theories behind using the warp core intermix chamber to connect directly to the impulse engines. Just how the heck does that work, if the impulse engines are supposed to be powered by a chain of fusion reactors, anyway?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing I can see is that both the impulse and warp engines were intended to be powered by the same M/AM reaction. That would seem to be borne out by Scotty's line "Intermix set, Bridge. Impulse power at your discretion."

Given the design of the Engineering set, that's the only way it could work. The up & down injector design of the TNG era just doesn't work, since there seems to be no space anywhere in the design reserved for a deuterium tank; not in the dorsal and not in either hull. At least that's the impression you get from David Kimble's cutaway poster. Since that was done as an attempt to give a real-world layout for the sets (and by the same artist who did the TMP blueprint package), I think that's a reasonable assumption.

The only way I see it could work is if both the matter and antimatter storage pods were at the base of the shaft. The lower section of the shaft would be the actual intermix area, and the resulting plasma would be split off at the junction in main engineering. The bulk of the plasma would power the warp engines, while the rest continued up to the impulse deflection crystal to be diverted to the exhaust ports.

Granted, this conflicts with the way modern Trek has the engines operating, but none of that had been nailed down back in '78.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see no problem with this... We know a lot of things changed between the two eras. Somewhere along the line, it was decided that dedicated fusion reactors would be better to power impulse drives. I'm pretty sure that the space/time driver coils had something to do with it. Yeah.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here's Probert's original design sketch, from when they where making TMP:
http://www.probertdesigns.com/Folder_DESIGN/CargoBay-3.html

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Timo
Member # 245

Thanks to Cmdr Dan for the illustrations!

I think the first pic is closer to what I'd like to see inside the ship. The big deuterium tank atop the secondary hull would be consistent with TNG, but as said, TOS tech could well be different in some ways. Coal boilers vs oil-burning engines, or something - both use pistons to translate the expansion of gases created by burning fuel into rotary movement, but the setup within the ship is drastically different.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps