Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » "Original" E-D Deck Plans?! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: "Original" E-D Deck Plans?!
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you might be talking about the warp sled for the large shuttles. Check out the last sheet for a key to all the auxilliary craft and stuff.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
If you look on the 5th image, in the main shuttlebay, there are several long, narrow pod looking things. Then, towards the aft, there's one of the pods with what looks to be some kind of warp sled attached to it. It looks amazingly like a runabout.

Yes, I had noticed the resemblance too (both to a warp sled and a runabout). So, that 'sled' thing, when attached to a shuttle, turns it into some sort of runabout? That would certainly explain the somewhat modular appearance of the runabouts, and in part support what the DS9TM says about their modularity. Something like what this page shows, in fact:

http://www.trekbrasilis.aidi.com.br/ds9/universo/tecnologia/runabouts.htm

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool to see these. Andy Probert told me about them way back when. I like the use of the ship's internal psace a lot better here than in the "official" plans. It seems there's a lot more space devoted to equipment, storage, etc. I always chaffe at plans that are all "rooms" with no support structure or anything approaching the volume of raw materials and fuel such ships would actually require.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, on the official bluprints by Sternbach, are there any crafts in the shuttlebay?

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plenty - type sixes I believe, plus a bunch of pods.

Mark

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Late edit: HERE is a quick scan of the shuttlebay according to Sternbach, with additions by me to prove that runabouts and the two-person "Peregrine" fighters could fit in there.

Mark

--------------------

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
...with additions by me to prove that runabouts and the two-person "Peregrine" fighters could fit in there.

The problem with the shuttlebays and Runabouts is that the doorway isn't big enough for a Runabout to fit in. The Peregrine wouldn't fit height-wise either. Yes, there's enough room for them to maneuver around inside the bay (Shuttlebay 1 anyway), but not enough room to enter or exit.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The overhead doors could be used for that, I guess. Three runabouts were somehow carried by the E-D, that much is known - and warp-towing isn't the likeliest explanation for that...

The smaller interceptor portrayed here should fit through the main door AFAIK. It's not really *that* much higher than a type 6 shuttle.

Timo Saloniemi

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David Templar:
Facinating, the GCS is classified as a Mk VIX Heavy Cruiser instead of an Explorer.

I presume it's a misprint for "XIV", since "VIX" isn't a valid Roman numeral.
SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had assumed the Runabouts delivered to DS9 were kept in one of the large three-deck high cargo bays on the aft undercut of the Galaxy Class's secondary hull. I even scratchbuilt such a bay on my under repair USS Challenger model.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't mind getting these... anyone want to consider these more 'official' over Sternbachs?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ideally, parts of both should be considered official.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SoundEffect:
I had assumed the Runabouts delivered to DS9 were kept in one of the large three-deck high cargo bays on the aft undercut of the Galaxy Class's secondary hull. I even scratchbuilt such a bay on my under repair USS Challenger model.

I agree: the Enterprise shit out the initial three Runabouts. [Wink]

And the Perigrine is (obviously) 32 meters long. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

SoundEffect
Member # 926

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
And the Perigrine is (obviously) 32 meters long. [Big Grin]

Yes, I agree, only if the humans seen piloting them (Cal Hudson) were around 13 feet tall! [Eek!]

Peregrine is 12.6m long! [Cool]

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He was a giant of a man.....

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps