Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » SWDAO - Yeager-s

Author Topic: SWDAO - Yeager-s
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For my next trick... a possible solution to the Yeager Crisis.

Okay, we all know about the USS Yeager, Sabre Class.

We also know about the raider/Intrepid kitbashed "Yeager" Class.

We've heard discussion about how the Sabre Class one must have necessarily been destroyed to create the other, since names don't jump classes... or somesuch.

But.. the revelation that the kitbashed "Shelly" Class on DS9 was actually named the "Curry" Class in honor of one of the guys who worked on the show leads me to wonder...

What if the also-kitbashed, also on DS9 ship was not "Yeager" Class at all, but "Jaeger" Class? Named after ANOTHER important man on DS9?

Anybody else think that makes sense?

------------------
"... Then you'll see me do some MAJOR dancing on your face!" -- Cosby

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought about that too, but Jaegar is from ILM anyway, and the DS9 people would have little contact with him. I think Okuda or one of those people said that both names are "Yeager" anyway.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!" - TMBG

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh. Well. Phooey on that, then.

I still like my idea better.

------------------
"... Then you'll see me do some MAJOR dancing on your face!" -- Cosby

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a great idea, but unfortunately doesn't work.

------------------
"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!" - TMBG

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Shelley-class is really Curry-class?! Agh...now I'll have to change every thing on my starship database.

If you know anything about making HTML Tables you'd know it's hard work to change something like this.

Hobbes

Federation Starship Datalink

------------------
"You're a groovy baby...baby" - Austin Powers

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, the ship was called the Curry. There stil is no official class name. You're welcome to call it "Shelley"- or Curry-type. People will know what you mean, either way.

As for the Yeagers, there were indeed both spelled w/ a 'Y'. Both the DS9 and ST9 VFX crews decided to name a ship after Chuck Yeager, neither realizing that the other was doing so, also. However, there are two ways around it:
1.) The name Yeager has not been canonically applied to the ship on DS9. It wasn't even mentioned in the encyclopedia or the DS9TM (although we don't know what it might say in the encyclopedia-3 yet). Technically, it can be assumed that the Intrepid-bash is actually named differently.
2.) The assumption I prefer... The Sabre-class Yeager was launched and named sometime after the Yeager-class one was destroyed/lost/etc. Those of you who hold the irrational belief that a class name cannot be reused on an individual ship won't like this, but, well, too bad. "The Dogs of War" already disproved that theory, anyway.

------------------
"I ran into Charlie Fogg.
He blacked my eye, and he kicked my dog.
My dog turned to me, and he said,
'Let's head back to Tennessee, Jed.'"
-The Grateful Dead, "Tennessee Jed"

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh... Wasn't the Yeager (Sabre-class) in Star Trek: First Contact?

------------------
Doctor: "Run along. I'll reattach any severed limbs. Just don't misplace them." (Voyager: "The Killing Game")

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it was, and you and Frank can both shut up now... *grumbles* :-)

------------------
"I ran into Charlie Fogg.
He blacked my eye, and he kicked my dog.
My dog turned to me, and he said,
'Let's head back to Tennessee, Jed.'"
-The Grateful Dead, "Tennessee Jed"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

First of Two: Could you alter your entry according to what we've said here, including what TSN mentioned? Thanks.

------------------
"Speak softly, drive a Sherman tank." - TMBG

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps