Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » paradox (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: paradox
trekkie
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
anyone remember the 3 paradox that the commander talked to seven of nine about in "relativity"

this was when seven was just brought aboard the ships and he was bringing her up to code. there were 3 temperal paradox that he talked about. anyone remember them? i have a small debate thing on what would happen if someone did go back in time on another forum [Big Grin]

IP: Logged
deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lieutenant Ducane asks her about the Dali paradox and the Pogo paradox, and afterward she adds her own example of the Pogo paradox: the Seven of Nine paradox.

Ducane: Let's see how much you've assimilated.
The Dali paradox.
Seven: Also known as the melting clock effect. It refers to a temporal fissure which slows the passage of time to a gradual halt.
Ducane: The Pogo paradox.
Seven: A causality loop in which interference to prevent an event actually triggers the same event.
[a couple minutes later]
Seven: The Seven of Nine paradox.
Ducane: I beg your pardon?
Seven: How do we know that my presence on Voyager will not alter the timeline?

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please tell me you did not recite that from memory.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there are the shooting scripts somewhere online.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I popped in the DVD.

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dat:
Well, there are the shooting scripts somewhere online.

For TNG, DS9, and the movies, yes. But not for VGR. At least, not that I know of. If you know differently, please elaborate.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I get the Dali reference. But "Pogo"? As in "stick"? Or the comic strip? Or what?
deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

I'm pretty sure it's named after the comic.

--------------------

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://uk.geocities.com/chakoteya/index.htm

Voyager transcripts available online . . . it's wonderful and repulsing all at the same time. [Wink]

Also, having Googled for info on the Pogo comic strip, I don't see how it relates.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

According to Wikipedia, it's called the Pogo paradox in Star Trek for Pogo saying "We have met the enemy and he is us".

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That makes sense. Although I'm not quite sure that Trek's "Pogo paradox" is actually the same as the grandfather paradox.

[ September 03, 2004, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: TSN ]

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They would be different paradoxi. The grandfather paradox involves eliminating yourself from the timeline by killing a relative in the past. The Pogo paradox apparently involves *causing* an event by attempting to stop it.

My resolution of the grandfather paradox is this: You travel back in time and kill your grandfather, or in some other manner prevent him from meeting your grandmother and fathering your parent. At the moment you cause that interference in the timeline, you disappear from the timeline. The only portion of the timeline you will now exist in is from the moment you arrived in the past, to the moment you changed the original timeline. This of course requires the timeline to be viewed form an outside observer, since you would obviously have had a birth, childhood, and early adulthood before arriving in the past. But upon disruption of the timeline, that past is erased from the future. Unscientific? Absolutely.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

trekkie
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hehe thx just what i was looking for
IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Well, the grandfather paradox has two resolutions: it depends upon whether you go with the single timeline theory, or many worlds.

If there's only one timeline, you simply cannot kill your own grandfather before he sires your parent. No matter how many times you try, something will stop you. Because, even before you went back in time, you'd already failed. Since there's only one timeline, history is immutable. You're sitting here in 2004, preparing to step into your time machine and go kill your grandfather in 1930. But, 1930 already happened. You were there (having just arrived from 2004 in your time machine), and you obivously failed to kill him, since you were still born later on.

In the many worlds theory, the timeline in which you were born and the timeline in which you killed your grandfather are separate. So there's no paradox there, either.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deadcujo:
According to Wikipedia, it's called the Pogo paradox in Star Trek for Pogo saying "We have met the enemy and he is us".

Ah . . . I had no idea. Thanks!

http://www.igopogo.com/we_have_met.htm

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps