Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » SWDAO: Nebula - Older or Newer than Galaxy-class (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: SWDAO: Nebula - Older or Newer than Galaxy-class
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a easy one. Older. The Nebula-class came before the Galaxy-class. Evidence? Lower registry numbers than the Galaxy-class. 2) The aft computer station on the bridge seen in "Remdemption, part 2" has an older look to it, like on the Ambassador-class.

Hobbes

TheFSD.com
Federation Starship Datalink

------------------
"You're a groovy baby...baby" - Austin Powers

[This message was edited by Hobbes on June 10, 1999.]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, remember, the Sutherland's bridge may have been some sort of temporary one, and the Phoenix, for example, was commissioned just before the Enterprise. So, they don't necessarily have to be that much older, although they probably are.

(Remember, include all possible arguments. )

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!" - TMBG

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay Frank...i thought the point of this SWDAO series was for one person to have an argument, while another provide a counterpoint to the argument.

I'm not saying much older, but the Nebula-class did come before the Galaxy-class. Most of the Nebula registries I have start with 61, a couple of them higher than 70. So far the highest I have is the USS Sutherland NCC-72015.

Hobbes

------------------
"You're a groovy baby...baby" - Austin Powers

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adhering to the idea that registries are at least assigned chronologically, a class ship's registry will necessarily precede all other registries in the class. Therefore, USS Nebula's registry number is lower than 60205 (that of the Honshu, and the lowest Neb we've seen yet). Since this more than 10,000 lower than USS Galaxy's 70637, it is almost indisputable that the Nebula came first.

Possible arguement: Prometheus. Yes, the Prometheus' registry number is much lower than both the Galaxy's and the Nebula's, yet it is newer. However, there are many Nebulae w/ registries that are still lower than the Galaxy's. This means that all those Nebulae were ordered before the Galaxy was. Certainly, SF would not have ordered a class mass-produced until the original had been around long enough to be tested and approved. Therefore, the Nebula was built, tested, and approved, and more ships of the class were assigned to be constructed, all before the Galaxy itself was ever ordered. The Nebula is older.

Yes, I know I'm not arguing w/ anyone. I just wanted to put everything together more coherently. :-)

------------------
"I ran into Charlie Fogg.
He blacked my eye, and he kicked my dog.
My dog turned to me, and he said,
'Let's head back to Tennessee, Jed.'"
-The Grateful Dead, "Tennessee Jed"

[This message was edited by TSN on June 10, 1999.]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hobess: No, no...the point is for one person to provide all sides of an argument, so the reader can determine a potential conclusion from that information. There are people who will think along the same lines as what I mentioned. You don't have to agree, just put it in.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!" - TMBG

Jamaharon
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just (sort of) debating this issue on a page of my website. This page is on the Nebula Class, and will be part of a Starfleet section of my homepage when it becomes operational. Please look over this page, and if you find any errors, please let me know.

The URL is http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Canal/6569/NCS.html

------------------
Welcome to the United Federation of Planets! I am the Risian LCARS system. Please, enjoy your stay, and if you need further assistance, you may access me at any of our terminals.

IP: Logged
bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Galaxy was on the drawing board first.

About the time the Galaxy was being developed we were at war with Cardassia. My feeling is they saw an impossible need to build the ship faster. So they made a smaller new design based on the Galaxy, called the Nebula.

I believe this because if you were the Federation and you were starting to build your new luxury liner/new battleship/flagship why would you base it on a ship that is used for whatever the Nebula is supposed to be for I forget.

My feeling is the Galaxy was designed first, but the Nebula was produced first.

------------------
"Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Optimus Prime."

Rule #1 : Always try to help a friend redeem himself from a past mistake.

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Bryce has the germ of a good idea there. . . sort of. However, it's a lot easier to think of the G as being an offshoot of the N - an Advanced or Super Nebula as it were. It also makes a lot of sense if there were only 12 Galaxies - that they might say "let's take the components for 12 Nebulas and do this to them."
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Bryce. Although the First One's argument is more plausible, it does not correspond with the TNGTM. The TNGTM describes the Galaxy class as something new and unseen, and this wouldn't be the case if the Galaxy class ships were just derived from the Nebula.

Maybe the topic is a bit more complicated than Hobbes thought, because we have to consider the design history, not only the commission dates.

Jamaharon: The page looks nice. Do you already have pages for the other starships listed on the top?

------------------
"No, thanks. I've had enough. One more cup and I'll jump to warp." (Janeway, asked if she would like some coffee in "Once upon a Time")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking approximately the same thing bryce was, but I was going to try to work out more details before posting it. I think probably the Galaxy and Nebula were designed in conjunction (the Gal was in "normal" starship configuration, the Neb was its "Mirandized" counterpart). When it came time to build them, something (maybe the Cardassian War, as bryce said?) caused them to build the Nebulae first, because it wouldn't require so many unecessary resources, and they were faster to crank out.

------------------

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't the Honshu's registry not yet known, at least officially. Yes, we think it says 60205, but that could be incorrect.

------------------
"This should provide adequate sustenance for the Doctor Who marathon"
-Fat Sarcastic Comic Book Guy

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My guess is that the Nebula was used as a 'bridge' between the New Orleans/Rigel/Freedom family to the Galaxy.

Also, it may have been that Nebula and Galaxy were designed at the same time, but that the Galaxy design was put on hold, in order to let the Ambassadors lead another 10 years as the flagships of the Federation. I mean, the Nebulas replaced 80 year old Nebulas, the Galaxies replaced 50 year old Ambassadors. The Nebulas were needed much more to replace the Mirandas then the Galaxies were needed to replace the Ambassadors. So, the Nebula was a higher priority then the Galaxy

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suspect you mean Excelsiors being replaced by the Nebulas? And if not, you should. They're fare better candidates for repacement by Nebulas than the Mirandas. . .
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Or Centaurs...

------------------

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*smiles cause people agree*

The problem is we know nothing more about the time (10, 15 yrs.) before TNG except the Cardie War.

I also think now (I heard this before too) that the Nebulas were like testers for the whole Galaxy fleet. Supposedly, they both shared the same tech. when they were designed. My new theory is now they might have said, "What if this here new poopie in these Galaxy boats don't work right?"

"Well, let's test this here engine in that new uhhh... star cluster class since it's a wee bit smaller and less important."

Sorry

If they put the new tech in the Galaxies and they all needed a refit later, that's a big hunk of your modern fleet. It's strategically bad.

My disagreement with the idea about the Ambassadors is that Starfleet should plan it's new ship consruction better to avoid such things.

I feel the only explanation within the Star Trek mythos for the lack of Ambassadors is that there must be some flaw in their design or something along those lines.

I'm done!

------------------
"Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Optimus Prime."

Rule #2 : No matter how evil your enemy is always show him mercy when he attempts to surrender.

[This message was edited by bryce on June 13, 1999.]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps