Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Estimate the size of Earth Starfleet fleet (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Estimate the size of Earth Starfleet fleet
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes.

All your trek-sites are belong to me.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Speaking of grinding the dead horse into alpo....I'm watching Emissary just now (as TV sucks this late) and noticed the Melbourne has cracks in it's saucer prior to the Borg's tractor beam grabbing it.
That means the Wolf 359 defeat was the result of sabotage to Starfleet vessels, perpatrated by evil right-wing conspiritors within the Federation Council who hoped to use it as an excuse to build more warships and launch an aggressive, unjustified war against the peaceful, kitten loving Borg! It's the only explanation!

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or that republicans subcontracted the melbourne's construction to their campaign contributors nad they did a shoddy job on the hull.

One more thing to thank Bush for:
he prevented us from watching Admiral Hanson make a total ass of himself by lusting after fugly-ass Shelby.
I mean...damn. She's beastly.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Couldn't the ship already have taken some hits by this point? I can't remember...
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Yeah,....but that's the logical theory.
Fuck that Vulcan-bullshit.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shelby? Ugly? With those cute curls and enormous mammaries? I'd tap that ass all day long.

On-topic, "Twilight" can be used to derive estimates of the size of the fleet. Assuming that each of the three convoys had a near-parity of actual accompanying Starfleet ships, then we should expect ~12 vessels survived the Xindi destruction. That doesn't tell us how many there are, though.

The question would be what Starfleet ships would do after the Xindi destroyed Earth. Run like hell, or die in a hopeless cause by trying to fight for what was left? Obviously some ran, but the percentage that stayed to fight or simply couldn't run fast enough cannot be known. I'd assume, though, that ~12 ships would be a significant percentage of the fleet.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I'd say that Starfleet (with the exceptions of the "Iceland", Intrepid, NX-01 and 02) is all merchant and trader vessels.
Recall that while there are "boomers" that have been in space for going on three generations, the known area of explored space is very limited.

Earth has been playing it safe for a looong time if they've not encountered the Andorians or Klingons prior to their Enterprise appearance- possible to the scarcity of ships available.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
None of the freighters on the show have been Starfleet vessels. Mayweather's entire thing was how his brother was upset about him joining Starfleet, remember? Those ships have been under the authority of, or at least licensed by, the Earth Cargo Authority.

Based on that, I doubt Starfleet is running a competing cargo service, beyond what their own out of system supply needs require.

Andorians: I think it's very likely that the Vulcans made sure that the Andorians stayed well away from Earth, and that humans avoided exploring in Andorian directions.

It sure would be neat if we learned a bit more about what the Vulcan's grand strategy is, cultivating all these client species. (My daydream: part of a very cold war with the Romulans, or even suspected Romulans. "We know they're out in this direction somewhere. We better make sure they aren't gathering allies, and gather some of our own." Though I think, strictly, canonically speaking, we don't know for sure whether the Vulcans know who the Romulans are at this point. Was the reference to a war between Vulcans and Romulans from Voyager definitely after the Romulans left, or was it possibly during, with Q just saying Romulans instead of Anti-Surakians, since the name refers to the same people?)

Klingons: Despite the travel time, I'm sure the idea was and is that the Klingons are supposed to be a fair distance away by 22nd century standards.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone: Sex! Boobs!

Simon: Nerd Nerd Nerd.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I mis-spoke: rather than "starfleet" I should have used the term "earth fleet".
I think Starfleet (as an organization actually capable of exploring anything) is brand spankin' new at the time of Broken Bow with only the Intrepid nad Iceland (plus a copy or two of those designs) having scoped out the local neighborhood.

We dont even know if any earth ship has been to Vulcan itself yet.

The idea of the Vulcans steering human exploration away from certain areas is valid one.
It's possible that the Vulcans have run interference on Earth's behalf iwth other more advanced races as well: some treaty may specify to the Telerites that Sol is off limits or somesuch.

A real question is weither the Klingons and Romulans have met yet.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would think that the Vulcans grand stategy is to be the dominate merchants in the galaxy by controlling the development of lesser races like the Andorians and Humans. --- They'll get over it, but everyone jokes about Vulcan merchants from then on.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps