Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » SWDAO: USS City of New Orleans

Author Topic: SWDAO: USS City of New Orleans
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a fun one... :-)

In the ST Encyclopedia, the entry for "New Orleans-class starship" has an aside tacked onto it claiming the class was "named for the ship we call the City of New Orleans". This is apparently an in-joke on the part of the writers based on an Arlo Guthrie lyric. While most people tend to reject this simply on the basis that it was a joke, that shouldn't make it wrong. The name Akira was a joke, and, technically, it is not canon yet, but no-one disputes it. Granted, it was used as the "real" name in the encyclopedia, whilst the City of New Orleans was a footnote, but this doesn't necessarily make a difference.

Of course, there are also those who seem to adhere to the idea that a ship class name must be strictly identical to the name of the class ship. While there is no canonical (or even semicanonical) precedent for a class name's being a truncated version of the class ship's, the idea is not unheard-of. There are some who have considered the idea that the Enterprise-E's class ship was, in fact, USS Royal Sovereign, rather than just Sovereign. Of course, as I said, this is only speculation.

What the issue really boils down to is that there is no canon, or even "official", answer, because the class ship of the New Orleans class has never been seen or mentioned, and it has never been set down definitively in what manners Starfleet derives its class names from its ships. Basically, I use the name City of New Orleans because it's different, and I like it. Others refuse to use it, probably for similar reasons. Barring further real evidence, this conflict is not resolvable.

------------------
"I ran into Charlie Fogg.
He blacked my eye, and he kicked my dog.
My dog turned to me, and he said,
'Let's head back to Tennessee, Jed.'"
-The Grateful Dead, "Tennessee Jed"

[This message was edited by TSN on June 10, 1999.]

[This message was edited by TSN on June 10, 1999.]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After discussing this at length with him, it seems that TSN's argument would be more effective if he considered the text in the encyclopedia to be explaining the origin of the class (and thus the class ship's name), rather than the class ship's name itself. In other words, the class ship was "named for the ship we called the City of New Orleans," as per the Encyclopedia text. Thus, the class ship could be New Orleans or it could be City of New Orleans - it doesn't say, either way.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!" - TMBG

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that wouldn't be very convincing for my arguement. That seems like it would be more convincing of the fact that the class ship may not be the City of New Orleans. I'm trying to say why it might be.

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it provides a better origin for your argument, actually.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!" - TMBG

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if you want USS City of New Orleans, New Orleans class, what about a USS United States Consitution, Constitution class, or Mediterranean Sea, Mediterranean class? I doubt it. That's like putting a person's full name on a ship, instead of just the last name, which we know is what they do (with exception of the USS Thomas Paine, but, who would want a USS Paine?)

I doubt it is a USS City of New Orleans. The name seems a bit too long to stick on the hull too

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the novel How Much for Just the Planet? The small science ship is named the Jefferson Randolph Smith. How's that for a long name?

------------------
"Some people call me the Space Cowboy. Yeah! Some call me the Gangster of Love. Some people call me Maurice. Whoo hoo! 'Cause I speak of the Pompatus of Love!" - Steve Miller Band's The Joker

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

359: Those are all possible, but they've never been mentioned in the encyclopedia.

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*lets out a loud primal scream*

------------------
"Gone savage for teenagers with automatic weapons and boundless love."
--
Soul Coughing

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"City of New Orleans" seems to be a favourite name of Rick Sternbach's...
In the Making of DS9 book, his prototype runabout drawing is also the USS City of New Orleans!

------------------
WARNING: Storing semtex in the microwave
may be hazardous to your health!

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're right! How could I forget that? The design for that....up to 40 people in the ship.

------------------
What bloke invented signatures?

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps