Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

This topic has been moved to General Sci-Fi.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » FARSCAPE question: Moya's size? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: FARSCAPE question: Moya's size?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a trek question, but a starship one nonetheless:
How long is the Leviathian supposed to be?
I've been watching the farscape marathon this week and cant nail down the ship's length...over 200 meters at a guess but mabye someone has an exact figure?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not Trek, aye; thus, in General should it go?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well according to Jeff Russell's Starship Dimensions, it's 650m long. I'm not sure what he's basing that on, but there you go.

B.J.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
double...
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but he's also got the EA Hyperion as almost as large as a Romulan warbird and larger than a Mimbari Sharlin cruiser so.....

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sharlins have about the same reputation for size as the Defiant, though.

({[<The length of the Hyperion has, to my knowledge, never been in dispute, and lies somewhere in the vicinity of 1000 meters.>]})

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always figured the Hyperion was smaller than an Omega, which is hanging around 1000 metres...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I never thought a Hyperion could be over 400 meters long (based on the cramped bridge and it having no fighters).
It always seemed to me to be a equivalent of a modern naval destroyer at most.

...OTOH, B5 ships are bloated in the extreme for what they do -unless they carry huge amounts of foodstuffs, a non-replenishable oxygen supply and solid fuelstores for extended missions without resupply.

...no: there's just no way the Hyperion is larger that the SDF1 or a Shadow veseel for that matter!

Look how it (supposedly) dwarfs the Galaxy class!

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't the Omega around 1,700 metres? [Confused]

The Hyperion does have fighters - funny one's that have a rear gunner, think it's about 1 squad or so.

As for the Sharlin . . . isn't that meant to be at least a mile to two miles long? [Confused]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

Okay, Jeff's -2X page has the Sharlin severely undersized, but the -10X page seems to have the sizes about right, at least to my eye. Here's a screen shot I took:
b5-sizes.jpg

The only thing out of place there to me is the Vorlon cruiser, which I think needs to be much bigger.

Of course, this doesn't help with the original question of Moya, does it? [Razz]

B.J.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

Well, here's two more sources:
Star Trek Minutiae lists Moya as 1542m long, but he admits he's pulling it out of his rear. And I saw something else saying that the Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame in Seattle, Washington lists Moya as 1.5 km long, which agrees with the above.

B.J.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the episode where we see the actual EAS Hyperion, we DO see a fighter leaing a docking bay of some sort... Didn't look 1000 meters long to me.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason B5 ships are so bloated, at least those in use by the Earth Alliance, is the unquenchable thirst of their fusion reactors for deuterium, owing to the stuff's low energy density, and so they need to store a lot of it, which is easier and more efficient to do on larger ships, since internal volume is a cubic function of an object's dimensions, but, of course, for a race that still hasn't totally climbed out of the galactic cradle yet, constructing even one 1.7km long warship might be just a few bridges, or shipyards, or megascale engineering abilities, too far, so, I don't know, except that the number of commas in this sentence is getting really excessive, so I am going to place a period behind it now.

[[Also, big ships look better on screen.]]

{{Also also, the Omega class destroyer <<and the Alexi Leonov it was copied from>> has to be my favorite ship design EVAR.}}

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In In The Beginning you also see Sheridan's ship (aargh, forget the name - oh, wait, now I remember), the Lexington, lauch a fighter I think. Piloted by Ganya Ivanov, which totally went against continuity - in the actual series, Ivanova bloody asks Sheridan how he destroyed the Black Star, with no mention of the fact that her brother got killed about 5 monutes before. . .

One of the B5 tech sites insists on giving Omega-class destroyers masses in the tens of millions of tons; this despite the fact that they're a fraction of the size of B5 itself which only weighs in at a 2.5 million tons.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evil is heavy.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps