Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Enterprise E cutaway theories.... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Enterprise E cutaway theories....
japol
Member # 1149

- posted      Profile for japol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oop! Good point guys.

I shall now turn over my Trekkie badge and phaser.

--------------------
I slit the sheet, the sheet I slit, and on the slitted sheet I sit.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
Mucus,

Danar tried to trick Worf into believing that he'd beamed somewhere from the cargo transporter. In reality, Danar was still hiding in the cargo bay.

I can't remember how Danar escaped the Enterprise, though. It's possible that after overpowering Worf (IIRC, he knocked a bunch of cargo pallets onto Worf-ie), he did use the cargo transpoter.

Yes, he did use the cargo transporter after knocking out Worf. I cough at everyone's speculation. [Wink]
http://www.twiztv.com/scripts/nextgeneration/season3/tng-311.txt

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wesley transported antimatter to the Hathaway in "Peak Performance".
SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess it's Canon if it's on screen, even if barely legible, but the Transporter console has a small callout called "Pattern Buffer (Quantum)" on it. This would seem to directly tie in to what was intended for the Transporters capabilities.

On the other note mentioned regarding antimatter, Picard was going to beam an entire shuttlecraft back into the shuttlebay and that's like beaming an entire starship, technologically speaking. There's antimatter in a warp-capable shuttle.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
There's antimatter in a warp-capable shuttle.
Is there? Certainly there could be, but matter/antimatter collision as a power source isn't a prerequisite for warp drive.

(Having said that, I do believe that various Starfleet shuttles have been explicitly antimatter-powered. I'm just saying.)

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the life of me, I cannot remember a single reference to "antimatter" or even the more ambiguous "intermix" aboard shuttlecraft (or other craft smaller than runabouts). And I agree that warp engines can probably run on things other than antimatter.

Still, the ability to beam entire shuttles is remarkable no matter what the powerplant. It may suggest that transporters are used in the majority of replenishment tasks, including torpedo casings, drinking water, air and whatnot, and supplanting direct physical means. But personally, I'd want to retain the physical interfaces for the assorted consumables, merely because they are cool (I like Meyerisms to a degree). And the FC hole-in-the-hull is just *perfect* for an air replenishment interface...

Timo Saloniemi

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: non-antimatter powered warp drives: the Romulans.

(Though you can pull antimatter out of a black hole, I guess, thanks to some bizarre quantum mechanical magic.)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Runabouts have antimatter: I figure at least large shuttles would as well.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the Voyager shuttles can do what they do without Antimatter, Starfleet needs to reconsidder some things. [Wink]
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Uh, such as? They can crash a lot. And fly from place to place!
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, reach Warp 10...
SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
They can crash a lot. And fly from place to place!

You're thinkin' of the Eagle from "Space 1999" [Razz]

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps