Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ In Techy Matrimony... ["Home" Spoilers] (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$ In Techy Matrimony... ["Home" Spoilers]
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can, but I can't explain why. So I'll just chuckle.

Hrm.. We aren't given any sort of conclusion to the crew's R&R on Earth (nor any real resolution to what's going to happen with the Xindi, for that matter, but I digress). So, what will we be seeing in the next episode? Will Enterprise launch from Earth with orders to pick up Soong? Or will we rejoin the ship en route, with at most a log mention that they're all fixed up and better now? Dunno if I'd be comfortable with that sort of reset button applied...

And in terms of crew changes, this may be the first modern Trek series NOT to have a major cast change in the early fourth season! In TNG, DS9 and VOY we had the departure of Wesley, or the additions of Worf or Seven.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anyone notice the cool TOS-triangular computer screen at the debriefing? And sadly, Fotopic doesn't have a cap of closeup on the Seleya's MSD. Can anyone here do that?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seleya MSD:
 -

And Columbia in the dock, for those who can't see the Fotopic pic...
 -

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never understood the compulsion to totally wreck a vehicle's lines by having little whatzits in the front stick out above where they ought to. They did it to the Jaguar XK headlights in the late 1960's and I'm still pissed off about that. And now, you're telling me that in the 2150's it will still be going on.

So much for theories of progress.

On the good side, this explains the genesis of the secondary hull. Once they start installing enormous round deflector dishes on the NX Class, someone finally realizes that the ships look f---ing stupid and you can't even tell them apart because of the enormous dish blocking the name.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this about those Mickey Mouse ears next to the bridge?

Do we know what they are supposed to be? Just temporarily open access hatches? (Not the dorsal torpedo launchers, I hope...)

Timo Saloniemi

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are open hatches - they're on the Enterprise model too. I can't find those hi-rez images, but the Polar Lights model they made from it show 'em:

http://www.playingmantis.com/pl/color/color.php

Mark

[Editted when I found the hi-rez pics. Download 'em before we lose 'em again!]

[ October 26, 2004, 07:47 AM: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

It just occured to me - the lack of on-ship action allows for the show's set decorators to make the necessary upgrades to the bridge. So, they cleverly hid those parts of the set that are probably being re-done. You can see for example that all the railings are missing from Columbia (they're silver, but being painted blue for the next episode), and the doors are either open or covered with plastic sheeting (same thing - they'll be more Smurfy the next time we'll see them). The aft situation table is also absent... Will we be getting a new one, or a modified prop?

Of course the seat hasn't changed (yet), but it seems to be a plot point that kept it there for a couple lines of dialogue.

ADDITIONAL: Look at the position of the Columbia's CO chair in the screencap, compared to the overhead diagram. The chair has been moved back to the upper deck.

Columbia's Chair
NX Bridge blueprint

Granted the chair may not have been installed yet and was simply sitting on the upper deck before someone put it in its place, though it was likely just placed there as a directorial choice, hoping that we wouldn't notice. Haw! As if!

Mark

[ October 27, 2004, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Guardian 2000:
[QUOTE]
Also, the music during that scene . . . well . . . sucked. Sounded like music off of a computer game. It was done by the same guy who won an Emmy for his "Similitude" music, though.

OMG! YES! The music in that scene SO sucked. I also thought 'computer game' - it matched the digitised sets.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've seen different phasor effects from TOS to the Movies, relating to improved technology. maybe 'pulsed phase cannons' will be more like the Refit Enterprise's phasors. I expect that over the space of hundreds of years, there will be lots of weapons changes. Ditto with torpedo launchers.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

PhasErs, man. [Smile]

Anyway, it's pretty much a given that these upgraded pulse phase cannons are only another step towards "real" phasers. Supposedly, if the timeline holds, at some point they're going to switch back to some form of laser for weaponry, at least temporarily or in terminology.

They shoulda just stuck with the damn plasma guns... Seriously, who needs a stun setting?

Mark

--------------------

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanna see Stun Torpedoes! Why not? they have stun grenades.. can you say RPSG?

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps