Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » SWDAO: Raven - NAR or NCC?

Author Topic: SWDAO: Raven - NAR or NCC?
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is tough. In "The Raven" it says SS Raven. "Dark Frontier" goes with USS Raven, was the registry given? I suppose if it were USS, its registry prefix might be NCC.
I guess the true question should be: Raven - USS or SS?

My database currently has USS Raven NAR-32450.

Hobbes

TheFSD.com

------------------
"You're a groovy baby...baby" - Austin Powers

Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posting erased.

[This message was edited by Trinculo on June 11, 1999.]

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but that's in the future when Starfleet probably has to differentiate between starships and timeships. In the current Trek universe, "USS" means Starfleet, and Starfleet uses "NCC" registries.

------------------
"I ran into Charlie Fogg.
He blacked my eye, and he kicked my dog.
My dog turned to me, and he said,
'Let's head back to Tennessee, Jed.'"
-The Grateful Dead, "Tennessee Jed"

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've also noticed that NAR ships start with SS. Example, SS Vico NAR-18834 Oberth-class.

Hobbes

------------------
"You're a groovy baby...baby" - Austin Powers

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the original point or this was to decide if the Raven was Starfleet or non-Starfleet, and perhaps rationalise the discontinutity between "Raven" and "Dark Frontier."

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!" - TMBG

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It definatly said NAR on the MSD

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick Sternback said on one of his sketches (ST:Mag) that he recommended keeping NCC. And new arrowheads for the banner.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I never saw "Dark Frontier", but I did see "The Raven". Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Raven belong to Hansens (sp?)? Where would they have gotten a Starfleet ship?

------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The current theory is that Raven was originally a non-Starfleet Federation research ship that the Hansen family through some cursory attachment to the xxx institute bumbled around in. Then Starfleet put them on a special mission to investigate these Borg-things, giving them official Starfleet status. She gets a USS name prefix and possibly an NCC reg. prefix and quietly slips off with the Borg to the DQ, never to be seen again.

My question is if the mission is so top secret that Picard doesn't even know of the Borg in '65, why mysteriously plaster "USS" onto the hull of the ship run by family of acknowledged screwballs for every passing Dopterian freighter to see? Or did the hull in fact still say SS and NAR but Magnus was being all-official in his logs?

------------------
"A Star Wars picture that preaches against greed is a little like Bill Clinton in the pulpit for a chastity-begins-at-home campaign."

-Rex Murphy on Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace

Davok
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Davok     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As much as I remember, "...SS Raven NAR-32450" could be clearly seen when Tuvok and Seven escaped from the ship. But I think the left end was cut of, so it cut also be "USS". But "NCC-...", that's impossible.
USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't Picard the USS Tsiolkovsky as the SS Tsiolkovsky in the Naked Now. Probably just a misreading of the lines but I felt like throwing another log on the fire.

------------------
"This should provide adequate sustenance for the Doctor Who marathon"
-Fat Sarcastic Comic Book Guy

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Yes, they consistently used the wrong prefix for the Tsiolkovsky in "The Naked Now". That one's always bothered me. I wonder if the crew might have called it "SS" because it was an Oberth, and they were accustomed to those being science ships w/ SS/NAR prefices...?

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hobbes: Could you write up the text for this, keeping in mind what everyone has said? Thanks. Again, I think the major concern is whether the Raven is Starfleet or not...

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Speak softly, drive a Sherman tank." - TMBG

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps