Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » shuttle in ST:TSFS (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: shuttle in ST:TSFS
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It does seem a bit odd that they added the sign just for the simulator
MattC
Member # 1391

- posted      Profile for MattC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umm, guys, the shuttles in those images (http://movies.trekpulse.com/album/displayimage.php?album=35&pos=12) are the Clydesdale class tugs....

Looks like this...

http://mattc.vip.warped.com/images2/clydesdale_schematic.jpg

M.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clydesdale?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

MattC
Member # 1391

- posted      Profile for MattC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Clydesdale. As in the draught horses.

At least that's what the studio minature is called according to a friend in the production office.

M.

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I smell non-canonicity...

Nice pic though. I always quite liked the tug design.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clydesdale is what Jakill's calls the tug design. Whether he invented it or it really does come from some backstage nickname, I don't know. But Okuda worked on Star Trek IV. If the production staff really did have some nickname for it, I would have expected him to include that tidbit in the Encyclpedia.

Marian

MattC
Member # 1391

Doug will know. I'll ask when I get a chance...again.

m.

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Quoth Wraith: I smell non-canonicity...

You say that like it's a bad thing. [Smile]

Unlike most of the names Jackill comes up with, "Clydesdale" doesn't suck. I'll use it until something better comes along.

Marian

[ January 04, 2005, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: MarianLH ]

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't mean it as a bad thing! I like the name too.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm probably alone in this, but I've never been a fan of giving shuttles class names, largely because Starfleet seams to churn through so many designs that they'll either start running out of names or just confuse the hell out of people.
To me it seams more realistic to give them alpha numeric designations, like most modern aircraft.
I actually came up with a system for assigning these a while back when I was doing allot of shuttle designs and needed a consistent system to keep track of them and how they fitted into the canon designs.
I think it went something like..."SC1-T17" where "SC" stands for "shuttle class" and "T" naturally stands for "Type".
This is based on the theory that the "class-2" shuttles are the ones we're most familiar with (Galileo, Justman, Cochrane etc.) While the Class-1's are the small shuttle pods (El-Baz, Pike) and the Class-3's are the larger cargo shuttles and people carriers (type-9 from the TNG tech manual, "executive shuttle" from ST:VI & VII, possibly Delta Flyer.)
This of course conveniently compensates for the writers on Voyager not paying attention to the tech notes.
Now for the "Spacedock Tug" I'd call it something like TC1-T6 if you assume it's just a light tug, however we see it parked planet side and perform a sea rescue in ST:IV so I'd rather think of it as a light cargo shuttle, so it'd be something like SC3-T6 instead.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we could combine the two and give it the nickname "Clydesdale," sort of like the F-14 Tomcat and the F-15 Eagle...so the SC3-T6 Clydesdale?
MarianLH
Member # 1102

Or it could just be an unofficial nickname, the way the P-47 Razorback was known as the "jug."

Sorry, Wraith. I meant to include a [Smile] in that post, but I forgot.

Marian

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nicknames I'm fine with. It's when you start sticking "class" on the end that things get a little silly.
For instance can you imagine how many shuttle, travel/inspection pod, work bees, tugs, cargo haulers and other such small craft the federation has used over the last 200 or so years? Imagine if each and every model and variant had a different class name. That's what some of these fan made manuals and RPG groups seam to believe, they even think the dry-docks have class designation! I mean come on! Its glorified scaffolding for goodness sake and who in their right mind would name scaffolding, beyond a generic design label?
Not only is it unnecessary it'd be horrendously confusing when you inevitably start recycling old names and using the same class names that are already taken by starships. [/rant]

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

RE: The origin of the name Clydesdale. I mentioned it to Eric Kristiansen (Jackill) and here's what he has to say on the subject.

quote:
"As far as the shuttle, the only official reference used for the shuttle
is "Sub Orbital Shuttle" which is more of a classification that covers
a lot of shuttles than a real type. I decided to make it a Shuttle Tug
(Shutug) and named it the Clydesdale class since this was a strong
workhorse.

Talk to you later
Eric"

--------------------

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
For instance can you imagine how many shuttle, travel/inspection pod, work bees, tugs, cargo haulers and other such small craft the federation has used over the last 200 or so years?
Not only is it unnecessary it'd be horrendously confusing when you inevitably start recycling old names and using the same class names that are already taken by starships. [/rant]

Just replace "shuttle" with "car" to make this a contemporary rant. [Roll Eyes]

B.J.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps