Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Star Trek speed calculations?

Author Topic: Star Trek speed calculations?
Frankenerd
Member # 1385

- posted      Profile for Frankenerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If as Dr. Paul Knappenberger from the Adler Planetarium in Chicago states, That the average density of stars is 0.007 per cubic light year in this part of the galixy, the spiral arms, then how fast is the Enterprise going in each of the various serries's stock shots?

Someone with a DVD player and time on their hands would have to watch and then count the stars as they flashed by in the back ground durring some specific interval in time. A little math and presto-digitarius a speed figure that would be canon and superceed the hype.

Or has this aready been done and ifso what is the answer?

--------------------
Eligant solutions to insolvable problems.

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What?

The speed of the Enterprise (or any other starship) when at warp is determined by the warp factor.

Note these links:
http://news.slasims.com/warp.php
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/warp.htm

The star streaks, outside of a cool looking special effect, must therefore be the result of subspace distortions while at warp. Perhaps micrometeroids or space debris striking the subspace bubble generated by the ship travelling at warp.a

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Elegant".
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even the TOS-era warp stars (or the similar-speed "impulse stars" from TNG) would require speeds of 20,000,000c, as judged by going really bloody fast in the program Celestia.

Although I disagree with the common non-canon warp speed charts in favor of the preponderance of canon velocities, the 20,000,000c figure is quite outside the proper ballpark.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never thought they were stars.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

DoughBoy05
Member # 1417

- posted      Profile for DoughBoy05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought they were Hydrogen Atoms, otherwise why would you need those Brussard Collectors on the front of the nacelles.

--------------------
"Well, Sergeant? Aren't you going to say that it's bigger on the inside than it is on the outside? Everybody else does."

"It's pretty obvious, isn't it?"

The Doctor and Sgt. Benton, in "The Three Doctors"

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought they were photon particles myself and that the streaking was to show that the ship was overtaking the light from distant stars, not the stars themselves.
Mind you wouldn't (or rather shouldn't) that create a red to blue doppler shift?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps